How does a 5.5 Inch Superlift handle on 1st gen X? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does a 5.5 Inch Superlift handle on 1st gen X?

dleigh007

Reaction score
City, State
Portland, Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer Limited
I am new on the forum, but in the last few weeks I've spent hours reading and taking notes from posts.

I have a 1994 Explorer Limited that I want to lift. I want to build the X to someday go with the group to Moab to run with the big dogs! So from what I have read, I need a 5.5 inch suspension lift (Superlift is the only one that I have found), and lots of other things, but for now I just want to talk about the lift.

For those that have this tall of a lift do you have any stability issues when driving on the highway? My wife's worried that if I get that tall of a lift I'll roll the X.

Would it be benificial to buy the more expensive 4" lift (and trim the fenders to run 35" tires)to get new parts instead of the cheaper 5.5 inch lift?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It will handle like a truck that has been lifted. The more you lift it the worse it will be. It also depends on what condition the suspension and steering. A lift will multiply an existing problem.

I have a 5.5 and 33s and it handles just fine. It does wobble a bit at highway speeds. I have replaced some of the the bushings, rear springs, Bilstein shocks, and a steering stabilizer.

What he said. I also have a 5.5" lifted truck on 33's. My truck drives reasonably well, for a lifted truck. It drives nowhere near like it did stock, but I use mine as a daily driver without problems.

The 4-inch with 35s and trimming is a great idea. The fact of the matter is that less lift is better. True ground clearance is only increased by increasing tire diameter. Raising the center of gravity will only hurt the handling and ride of any vehicle. You can compensate with larger anti-roll bars, shocks, steering stabilizers and steering kits, but dont expect a lifted truck to be the same as stock.

I like the 5.5-inch lift because it is a spring over rear axle conversion. The superlift kit removes everything from below the axle tube, and it is a very clean conversion. I have replaced my rear springs, due to sag and old age, so having to replace the rear springs should really not be considered in you decision on how high to go.

Thanks unclemeat/JDraper, That is what I thought - the tire dameter is whats important for ground clearance. I want a lift where I can run 33's or maybe the Super swamper LTB 34/11.5/15 and keep the X's center of gravity as low as possible. That's better for crawling right?

I'm leaning towards the 4" lift with lots of fender trimming. I just wanted to get opinions on highway handling since I have to drive to wheelin sites :)

BTW...I loved the 2007 Moab pictures and I can't wait to go!

A 4" with 35s is the way to go. Just be sure to get some sliders made or you'll bash the rockers.

This is my old one with that setup. I took both sway bars off and it was my daily driver/froader for 3+ years.

With trimmed fenders (I had fiberglass and the rear doesn't need it), it will work great.

1600rubicon1.jpg

1600truckhavenpose.jpg

Thanks for the info and cool pictures froader.

Since I'm still a noob with this stuff...could you or someone explain to me what "sliders" and "rockers" are (with pictures would be great!).

Lol, I know what rockers are in an engine, but that's it:p:

Also, I read a post yesterday where someone put quick release pins in their swaybars so they could remove them for wheelin and then pin them back up when it's time to hit the highway. Is this what you were talking about or did you remove the swaybars permanetly?

Thanks

Rock sliders are "basically" heavy duty nerf/step bars that protect the lower body panels between the wheels from rock damage.

Rock Sliders being installed:
4156fitbar.jpg

Fully installed but not painted:
4156P4090010.jpg

the very bottom trim of the body between the wheels, below the doors is called the "rocker panel" I don't know why except that they often get bashed buy rocks. So thats what froader was talkin about

Back