How does a V-Nose trailer effect surface area in regards... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How does a V-Nose trailer effect surface area in regards...

How does the V-Nose of a V-Nose trailer effect the surface area calculations in regards to towing restrictions?

I have my 01 sport that I am in the process of mustering money for an engine rebuild, supercharger setup, headers/exhaust, suspension upgrades, and tranny cooler. But my max surface area for a trailer is 50ft, which limits me to a 5x10 trailer. I really want/need a 6x12 and was thinking a V-Nose would help me out there.

Anyone with experience pulling with a sport tell me yes/no on this one? Here is a similar trailer to what I am looking at. I will be pulling cross country probably once every year or 2 and short 150-300 mile trips every 2-3 months.

http://inventory.alm9.com/AdsDetails.aspx?Id=86&CatId=4

Should I just give it up and go for a full size pickup/v8 ex? I really like my ex...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I guess I should say frontal surface area...

are you trying to figure out deck surace area? why are you limited to 50sq feet of trailer? you would have no problem towing a 6x12....

I think the guy I talked to was just an idiot. He said you should calculate your surface area for trucks and suv's by trailer (W) x (L) x (1.Y) x (1.Z) where Y is how many feet taller the trailer is than your vehicle and Z is how many feet wider your trailer is than your vehicle..

It doesnt make sense as you would think frontal area is a straight forward (W)x(H). I only believed him since he works for the trailer company and really is just talking people into buying smaller trailers... You wouldnt think he would have anything to gain by that..

hahaha. well if you think about it... not many people know much about trailers.... a trailer is a trailer.... so if he can fool you into buying a small trailer, then next year you realize that trailer just isnt big enough... so you go back and buy a new bigger trailer from the same guy... he sold you 2 trailers instead of you just buying one the right size in the first place.... kinda like a mechanic changing your canooter valve, muffler bearings, and topping off your blinker fluid lol

that would be my only explanation =... go else where and buy a trailer from someone you isnt going to try to feed you a line of garbage just to sell you something lol

Chris, that much of a taper (trailer in your link) probably really won't make much difference. I of coarse do not have wind tunnel data to prove this, just a bit of experience. With that size trailer it really shouldn't matter anyway.

You say you are looking at a supercharger. How will you register the truck in CA? I wasn't aware that there was still a smog legal kit available, or do you have another solution. Please tell!

I found this, and it's my only link so far: http://arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermkt/devices/eo/D-487-1.pdf

I have however found tons of people all over the place posting the 89-93 Eaton M90's on the 2000-2001 4.0's with them saying they are in cali so it has to be possible. Here is the kit they are using.. http://candmnovelties.com/pages/page3.htm

If it comes down to it, I will pull my out of state military thing, and if that doesn't work, drive it back to Texas where we don't have laws... :salute:

In the end, the supercharger is the last thing on my list. But it is there. I am looking at the rebuild and suspension stuff first. Since replacing the transmission didn't fix my shift flare, so I have a VB rebuild kit and EPC solenoid to replace this weekend.

Just found out one of my lower ball joints is totally ***ed and the others are not in the greatest condition so those are the next weekend. Might do tie rods too, but I poked a hole in the boot and shot about 50-60 pumps of grease in there and ain't heard a peep since haha.

It's a never ending battle with these trucks..

Back