• Register Today It's free!

How expensive

deamon3

Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Eddie Bauer
Is maybe a small lift and some bigger tires?

The other day I got stuck in some frankly , not very deep snow. Maybe a foot and a half. But it was in the middle of a parking lot. Even with the 4x4 on it was just to deep. Had to have a friend pull me out. I couldn't help but think while I waited stuck in the snow , maybe my explorer isn't as invincible to snow as I thought it was. lol

So how much does it actually cost to just get some bigger tires or bigger suspension or whatever. I don't want it to be a rollerskate but just higher off the gound so I don't get stuck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheap

You could just do the f-150 coil seats and the warrior shackles for around $100.00. The tires will cost a little more than that. You could fit 32's after those parts go on....

Good tires are going to be where your costs sets in. I've looked for a while at a small lift and tires and just for your reading pleasure (or lack there of if you so find it) here is what I've come down to:

ALL IN ALL, yea, under 100 for the lift, but the tires are going to get ya if you get good ones. I will vouch for the BFG All-Terrains in the snow, our family has them on a 4Runner and F250 and my Ex, they do great. As opposed to my bro's Ex that has all-terrains, but since they don't have a sidewall lug pattern he couldn't get anywhere in the snow so really think twice before settling on tires. On the other side, mud's will probably perform better than all-terrains in snow, but wear out faster and will perform slightly worse on ice.

Cost wise, my BFG All Terrains came out to like 700 (maybe a little more) for the 4 30x9.50's. If I could do it again I would definately do 31x10.50's, or just waited till I could lift and get 32x11.50's, maybe 33's

for the tires search on here for "stone tires" they are retreads but $40 each is really good

$40 is for the stock size, 31's are $85. Go to to your local pepboys and they have Definity Dakota MT's for $100 a piece, which are made by cooper. Or just look for some used ones like i am with a good amount of tread.

The cost is all in what you're looking to get out of your truck, it depends on how big of a lift you're looking and what tire size and tread and brand and the "do I have all the tools needed to do the lift that I want to do".

Well I'm not too worried about tools as I'll probably have a shop do it. Just looking at whats the cheapest to get a decent lift off the ground so I fair a little better in winter then I would if it were stock.

I saw some before and after pictures of the coil seats and shackels , that looks like what I want. Then that along with a little bit bigger tires. I don't mind if the tires are used as by summer I will probably take them off and use my stock tires.

Craigslist is a good place to find used sets of tires. You can always score full sets for $200-300 bucks.

Craigslist all the way man!!!

Craigslist is a good place to find used sets of tires. You can always score full sets for $200-300 bucks.

I got a set of ranger tires and rims for $125.00!

On the other side, mud's will probably perform better than all-terrains in snow, but wear out faster and will perform slightly worse on ice.
Not always the case. The BFG All Terrains will out perform the mud terrains in snow. The muds have big, open lugs designed for slinging mud out. The AT's have a tighter tread design with more grippers(for a lack of a better word) for driving on snow/ice. I have had both and run the MT's on my Ex now, but for winter, everyday driving the AT's are better, IMHO..........

I would pretty much agree. I haven't been able to run both sets, just the all-terrains. I am only speaking from what I've heard. In snow (by which I mean deep snow) I have been told the mud terrains work better as the deep snow works in a way like mud as it helps to grab onto it with the deep, spaced tread pattern and the larger lugs on the sidewall and throw it out like you are saying with mud. But, if you say from experience I can't argue with that, makes me feel better about my all-terrains if nothing else :D

Back