How Ford plans to phase out the best selling E-Series. | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

How Ford plans to phase out the best selling E-Series.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OffTrac

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
Poor decision, IMO. I worked for Delta a few years back with ground support and these things were workhorses and as reliable a vehicle made. The "replacement" does not look up to the task.

Brandon96

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Central Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT 4.0 OHV
So first the best-selling Ranger, now the best-selling E-series?

Ford's got some big cojones these days, I swear...

OffTrac

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
And the Crown Vic/Town Car.

Wasn't as disappointed with the Sport Trac. That died to me in 2006. Kinda how the Cougar died to me in '99 ('73 actually).

01B3K

Reaction score
City, State
Eatontown, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Mazda B-3000

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
And the Crown Vic/Town Car.

Wasn't as disappointed with the Sport Trac. That died to me in 2006. Kinda how the Cougar died to me in '99 ('73 actually).

'89-97' Cougars are nice. I have a '97 XR7 Sport. I'll take it over a Rustang any day of the week :)

IZwack

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Germantown, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer
Makes sense, especially considering the MPG gains (if they are true).

OffTrac

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac 4x4
'89-97' Cougars are nice. I have a '97 XR7 Sport. I'll take it over a Rustang any day of the week :)

All of them are pretty nice up through '97, but I don't think they ever lived up to what they began from '67 60 '72. It should have continued to be the more upscale, luxurious, screaming fast big brother version of the Mustang. Then they tried the rice thing with the front wheel drive V6 in '99.:(

snoranger

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Jackson, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 limited on 35's
In Europe it has primarily been available with turbo-diesel engines, although for the U.S., Ford will certainly offer it with a gasoline engine. We are told that Ford has yet to decide which of its North American engines will be fitted under the hood, but that anything is possible, even a V8.

As always Ford says F%@# you North America, you dont get a diesel.

If they dont know what engine is going to be in it, how can they make this claim?

Ford says the transition to Transit makes sense for customers because the Transit will offer a 25-percent improvement in fuel economy, thanks in part to a roughly 300-pound weight savings, but without any sacrifice in durability or capability.

Dan Whitaker

One fast putty tat
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Raytown MO (Kansas City suburb)
Year, Model & Trim Level
No Mounty no more.
So first the best-selling Ranger, now the best-selling E-series?

Ford's got some big cojones these days, I swear...

More like they've been cut off.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
If they dont know what engine is going to be in it, how can they make this claim?

Because whatever engine goes into the new Transit, it will still be much more efficient than a gas hog Econoline?

Ford would be absolutely stupid to not produce a vehicle competitive with the Sprinter, and the Nissan NV. That is the market, like it or not.

We have 2 Sprinters at work, and had one Econoline until last fall. It never moved- it drank gas, and couldn't haul as much stuff. We dumped it for next to nothing. For the people that actually BUY these vans, this is a good move.

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
In all reality, they can't be selling that many e-series "vans" anyway. I mean really, how many e-series vans do you see anymore? Most have either switched to Sprinters or Super Duty based box trucks.

BrooklynBay

Moderator & long time member.
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Brooklyn, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
88 89 93 95 96 Aerostars
I'm just wondering how they expect contractors to haul sheetrock & plywood in a small 4 cylinder box shaped mini van. What about people with large families that need a 15 passenger van? There are 15 passenger mini school buses too. The larger Econolines are used as a base vehicle for some motorhomes as well. The F series pickup is used for towing. What will they use to replace them once they are phased out? The Ranger & Sport Trac were already phased out.

Joe Dirt

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
07 Camry
Our sprinters carry everything up to 5' x 12' substrates on a day-to-day basis, with plenty of room left over for more stuff. We routinely carry stuff up to 18' long. They wouldn't fit into our Econoline. These are the larger vans coming now, not the mini Transit Connect. Two different sizes.

If you look at the specs:

Height (high roof Sprinter (not even a max roof) vs. Econoline): 76" vs 51"
Cargo floor length: (Extended which we have) vs Econoline extended length: 185" vs 140"
Cargo Width: 70" vs 51"

It's just a better design- the old has to be phased out, we would never even consider another Econoline, but if they have the larger Transit, we'd for sure look at them.

blueka

Elite Pickler
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 UK XLT, 99 Sport V8,
Transits are actually pretty awesome... I've driven the model that they have now and the previous models, and they're more than up to the job... don't worry!

Si

kert0307

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Pella, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 Sport and '89 B2
The larger Econolines are used as a base vehicle for some motorhomes as well. The F series pickup is used for towing. What will they use to replace them once they are phased out?

What can this do...
78E3857B-B718-4F81-82ED-F83B17E07910_1.jpg

That this cant?

b_dually_box_truck_work_van_body_93585606604276329.jpg