How hard is it to find a used PIU Ecoboost? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How hard is it to find a used PIU Ecoboost?

Jthomas590

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 toyota corolla dx
Been looking nonstop for an Explorer PIU Ecoboost. Cant seem to find any online. Do the departments not want to spend the money for them?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That’s interesting. I thought all PIUs were ecoboost, and not NA 3.7s

They pop up once every couple months. Michigan SP uses them - keep an eye on that area.

I asked my local surplus police vehicle dealer and he charges a $1,500 to $2,000 premium for PIU with eco when he sells them. He does not get very many because the local departments do not want to spend the extra money and they are also concerned about high speed chase lawsuits. I do not know how the eco's hold up to high mileage, heat and abuse. I checked and supposedly you can get the computer tune for around $600 for the 3.7 NA. They claim an increase of 36 BHP.

New Jersey State Police uses ecoboosts, but they have '16s and '17s. Some will probably start going up in the coming years.

Welcome to the Forum.:wave:

Peter

Can't help with the older models (don't like the look of the 11-15), but when I was looking for 0/low mileage 16/17s last year through manheim, the EBs typically brought $5-7K more than the 3.7L. I've only ever seen a few 16/17 EBs though compared to dozens upon dozens of 3.7s.

I have one ;)... I searched on copart for quite a while for a wrecked sport. And came across a low mileage 15 piu ecoboost good price too so I jumped on it .. there's a 15 ecoboost piu on copart now with 87k on it
Light hit pass front for $6500 plus fees

Finally finding a few from all the tips! Can you pm me the link for the one on coparts? I am having touble finding it. Thanks!

I pulled it up this morning and it had sold yesterday evening apparently

I do not know how well the twin turbo will hold up with long term, high mileage police use. It is important to remember that the turbo uses the same oil as the engine. If proper oil maintenance is not performed it likely causes wear on the turbos. Dirty oil and heat will destroy the turbo and seals. Remember that the turbo spin at night speeds and needs proper lubrication. The whole idea of a turbo is to take the exhaust gas to spin the impeller to compress the intake air. This than then makes higher engine compression, which will lead to a shorten engine life. Ford also has a concern with higher mileage 3.5 Eco's having carbon build-up. Click here:
Buying a PIU with lower miles should be ok but most PIU with eco that I have seen are 80K mile plus trucks. I would love a PIU eco but the cost for a low mileage newer truck does not justify the added cost for me to spend.

That one ecoboost is back on copart.

https://www.copart.com/lot/22602888

It's a fully.loaded interceptor too has alloy wheels and rear hvac. If it wasnt so far away I would buy it but between shipping and fees it's not worth it for me

It's a fully.loaded interceptor too has alloy wheels and rear hvac. If it wasnt so far away I would buy it but between shipping and fees it's not worth it for me
Can anyone buy from copart? What are typical fees on top of purchase price? May be worth it for some, but after repairs, you still end up with a salvage title vehicle and all that comes with that.

It was relisted because I saw it a couple days ago and it had a bid of about $3,400.

Can anyone buy from copart? What are typical fees on top of purchase price? May be worth it for some, but after repairs, you still end up with a salvage title vehicle and all that comes with that.

I got mine for $5600. Came to $6500 after fees and taxes. But. Mine was low miles 38k. And I had all the parts except air bag items at the shop already which had been paid for from the last one I put together. .. for me to buy that one with fees and shipping would put me at 8k easy just getting it TO me In my name. with 84k it's not worth it to me . Parts wise doesn't look bad. Needs a passenger fender, Bumper. (May be salvagable) grill and more than likely a radiator support it's fiberglass. And at most a new rebar . That passenger rail might need pulled down a little judging by the way the hood is sitting. And a drivers air bag, left seatbelt, collapsible steering column sensor. And either a new rcm module or send it out to be fixes.. literally the most expensive parts are airbags. And in Ohio it doesn't have to have airbags installed to pass inspection so you can sit on eBay and find good deals on them. I put cars together for a living that to me is a simple fix. If ii was closer and didn't have shipping costs it would be already apart and halfway reassembled in my shop

Don't be fooled by appearances - If you look the vehicle up on ETIS, you'll find it's pretty much a base model PIU with EB and rear HVAC as the only real options (no power passenger seat/no RKE/vinyl rear seat/no real options of any kind). I would assume the aluminum wheels were added after the fact as ETIS says it shipped with steelies. ETIS also shows it came with a driver side spotlight which appears to have been removed judging by the damage on the pillar.

You are in a bit of a unique position as I am sure you are valuing your time at 0 or close to 0. For the average/typical person (no access to a shop, no place to store parts cars, etc...) that has to pay for parts and repairs, I can easily see the part/repair costs hitting $4-5K or more on that vehicle (assuming someone did as much as they could themselves and only farmed out frame/body/paint). Add that to the $8K cost of the vehicle and you're at $12-13K and you still end up with a salvage title PIU with 84K miles. Depending on what radio/light equipment was added and how it was removed, one could also be tracing down electrical gremlins for a little while (or paying someone else to do it...)

This is true if you cannot fix yourself and going to pay a shop it's in no way worth it. Or at least access to someone fair priced. But if you can and you are close enough yo pick it up it would be worth it. For a sport on budget. Like I said I have parts cars I bought it and completely swapped leather and all options from an xlt over to mine. It was just time for me not actual cash out of pocket. I'm starting to not like copart bc they have opened alot up to public and prices sky rocketed. A good deal comes around here and there.

My 2015 was a Ford QA vehicle and has just about every option, except for the carpeted interior.
- PTU EVOC / Track Cooler Option
- Rear AUX A/C
- Ready for the Road Lighting Package w/ Siren and Auto Headlamps
- Cloth Rear Seats
- Factory Alloy Wheel Car (though I upgraded to 20" Explorer alloys)
- Factory Roof Rack
- Rear Camera w/ Backup Sensors
- Blindspot and Cross Traffic Monitoring
- Ford Sync

I also added the factory tow package w/ harness. The audio system was also upgraded with an S160 center stack replacement headhunt, subwoofer, speakers and an amp in the spare tire well.

20161118114543-95b617ad-me.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jacky Jones Ford in Cleveland, GA, has a black 2017 PIU Ecoboost used demo with 18 mi on it for sale right now.

Back