how hard would it be to install the driver's message center | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how hard would it be to install the driver's message center

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
all my 4dr Ex's and Mountaineer's have the driver's message center in the console. my '97 Sport has the same console, but with 2 small cubbies. how hard would it be to add a message center. are the wires likely to be there? as most of the information displayed seems to come from the PCM, might this be a plug & play?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 4 door 00 xlt 5.0 awd which is pretty loaded with leather and what not did not have the "message center" after seeing my buddy had it, I wanted it too
i assume your talking about the average and instantaneous mpg? if so
I was directed to buy the "ultra gauge" that thing works like a dream!
if not and you wanted the "clean factory look" than I am no help :(

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380382

my 4 door 00 xlt 5.0 awd which is pretty loaded with leather and what not did not have the "message center" after seeing my buddy had it, I wanted it too
i assume your talking about the average and instantaneous mpg? if so
I was directed to buy the "ultra gauge" that thing works like a dream!
if not and you wanted the "clean factory look" than I am no help :(

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=380382

yeah, I'm familiar with the ultra gauge, I was thinking something more OE.

Hey koda l think vroomzoomboom has one in his sport, I know I have seen it in the modified section by it I mean the install into ones that didn't have it

Hey koda l think vroomzoomboom has one in his sport, I know I have seen it in the modified section by it I mean the install into ones that didn't have it

I just PM'd with vroomzoomboom. he said he'd done it, but that it was fairly work intensive to get it wired up and that he wasn't able to get the fuel tank size recognized correctly (the Sport's tank is smaller at 17.5G). that's the one thing I really wanted to work. I don't really care about the LOW OIL LEVEL, OIL CHANGE DUE or LOW WASHER FLUID displays. so I guess this will be going on the back burner for now.

Yea I thought about putting it in my v8 sport but it sounds like a job for a day when im really having to look hard for something to do,

I have the cubbies. While a fuel computer would be a fun toy, we all know what the readout would boil down to: "MPG: Crap." :p

I prefer having a place to store my phone/wallet/snacks within easy reach.

I have the cubbies. While a fuel computer would be a fun toy, we all know what the readout would boil down to: "MPG: Crap." :p

I prefer having a place to store my phone/wallet/snacks within easy reach.

well, the fuel economy may be crappy, but your driving style can make it much crappier. I find I get near 18 city (I live in a very rural area) and can get 23 on the highway if I take it easy. so closely monitoring fuel consumption can really help. while my combined average is about 20 MPG, my lead footed wife only manages about 16.5 combined MPG on the same vehicle.

Yea I like seeing 23mpg in our mountaineer now that its got true 2wd

Yea I like seeing 23mpg in our mountaineer now that its got true 2wd

yes, my AWD Mountaineer does a little worse than my 2WD V8's. maybe 1 less MPG.

well, the fuel economy may be crappy, but your driving style can make it much crappier. I find I get near 18 city (I live in a very rural area) and can get 23 on the highway if I take it easy. so closely monitoring fuel consumption can really help. while my combined average is about 20 MPG, my lead footed wife only manages about 16.5 combined MPG on the same vehicle.

Ya mine seems to have two modes when it comes to MPG: Good and Awful. On my long commutes (300 mi r/t) I used to get 20 MPG, even though 20 miles of that was in 20 mph gridlock.

My daily driving is basically home > post office (1/2 mi) > gym (3 mi by freeway) > home. I get about 14 mpg.

Back