How Important Is Clear Coat? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Important Is Clear Coat?

My '04 Explorer XLT didn't come with a clear coat (don't know why they don't do this)... I think it costs about $200 to have Ford put one one... I'd like to know whether or not this is absolutely vital to have done...

Only problem I've had so far is that on my hood, there are a few pinhole size nicks in my paint presumably from gravel that was spit up on the road... Is this something the clear coat would prevent in the future?

I'm trying to weigh if spending the $200 is worth it or not... Thanks!

oh yeah and my Ex is Oxford White

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You sure it didn't come with a clearcoat. The paint Ford uses now is a two part paint. A basecoat & a clear coat.

Tell you the truth I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't clearcoat on there. The paint on my '03 Sport I had for a short time and my parents '03 Ranger is absolutely horrible. It doesn't take much at all for it to chip or scratch off. Ford has really started skimping on the paint.

I'm pretty sure it has clearcoat on it. So they specifically painted this truck for you? I did not know Ford would specifically not clearcoat a certain amount of vehicles. One way to tell is to get a polish or glaze and do a little spot on the vehicle and see if the paint comes off on the pad/applicator. Clearcoat is nice, will perserve the paint, but if negelected (no polishing or waxing/sealant) it will not last as long. Clearcoat or not rock chips happen.

More than likely they put a light coat across your paint. Instead of spraying it down heavily.

Ford paints all veh. the same. You have clearcoat. What you dont have is a $200 dealer option called paint protection or something like that. It is just a $ maker for the dealer. You waxing the truck will do the same thing. And you would still get paint chips from stones no matter what kind of car or paint you have.

Wow, just wow.

Hartman said:
Wow, just wow.

:eek: I can't believe this thread has soo many responses

Some people like to "pad" their post count. Not saying who. ^^^

Actually in a base clear paint system, the base is dull when it dries. There is a window of time during which you apply the clear topcoat and it chemically catalyzes with the base for a strong bond. Those who said you had a clear coat were right... it is not an option... your car would be dull and flat, not shiny, and the base is not very durable alone - it needs the clear. And yes, the aftermarket "protection" spray on's are just a huge moneymaker for the dealer.... some names are "Permaplate" Protectaplate" Armorkote" etc...you do not need it.

Bill Kemp said:
Ford paints all veh. the same. You have clearcoat. What you dont have is a $200 dealer option called paint protection or something like that. It is just a $ maker for the dealer. You waxing the truck will do the same thing. And you would still get paint chips from stones no matter what kind of car or paint you have.

Whoops, Forgot I had asked this question ;)

I think you may be right about this. I don't specifically remember them calling it "clear coat" but they did sit down with me and try to get me to buy this option at the dealership.

Do generally this is not worth it huh?

Anyone know where I can get some Oxford White paint to patch up the few small nicks I have on my hood?

Your paint does have a clear coat, but it is very thin. I would say wax and polish regularly and in a few years when it no longer looks "New” spring for a new paint job and have them lay a few layers of clear on for good measure. I have just painted my ex a few weeks ago when I bought it because I bought it wreaked and replaced the dr fender and the dr door. I put three coats of clear on it and it looks factory. :thumbsup: I am planning od painting my trim in the near future but it will take a little more prep work for this.

They are right your truck does have Clear coat. BUT!!!!

They do make single stage paint which is color and clear at the same time. I just got done using the PPG Single Stage black on my 92 Navajo. SAVES a lot of time when shooting a whole Truck. Not the best for matching old paint jobs because of the Lack of Color availiblity in Single Stage. and the Stuff is Expensive too..

Back