• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How long does it take to download Sync updates to Thumbdrive?

Glockfan

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I have been trying to download a sync update for a while but all I am getting is a white box with a black bar scrolling across. I am using a Mac but downloaded google chrome prior to attempting the update..How long does it normally take? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20. Gets rid of the ads!

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

bkool2323

Reaction score
City, State
Western MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
If you are talking about the update that has been out for several months, it took 30-40 minutes with the engine running. Thought it would never load. It still did not fix the bugs but better. Have to reset the clock weekly. No black screen since update. Not happy with MFT.

Glockfan

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I can't get it to download to my usb drive..

boss377

Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
The process works better on Windows.

boss377

Reaction score
City, State
Annandale, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
If you are talking about the update that has been out for several months, it took 30-40 minutes with the engine running. Thought it would never load. It still did not fix the bugs but better. Have to reset the clock weekly. No black screen since update. Not happy with MFT.
Go to your dealer and they will open a ticket with your issue and update your system for you.

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
I have been trying to download a sync update for a while but all I am getting is a white box with a black bar scrolling across. I am using a Mac but downloaded google chrome prior to attempting the update..How long does it normally take? thanks
It should take about 5 minutes depending on the speed of your internet. What version of Chrome did you download? Here's a link to our supported browsers:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=227

Google Chrome™ (versions 6–13) for Mac® and Windows®
Internet Explorer® (versions 7–9) for Windows
Mozilla Firefox® (versions 3–6) for Windows

There are a few other troubleshooting tips in the above FAQ to try. Or like boss377 said, you can always have your dealer do it. Let us know how it goes or if you need more help! :)

Rebecca

Bill #5 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
you can always have your dealer do it. Let us know how it goes or if you need more help! :)

Rebecca
Rebecca, are we going to be charged by the dealership to do this update?

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
Rebecca, are we going to be charged by the dealership to do this update?
Hi, Bill!

If you go to your dealer and have 2.8 on your vehicle, you won't be charged by your dealership to update to 2.11. If you already have 2.11, they can charge you if you aren't having any issues and choose to re-flash your system.

Rebecca

Bill #5 Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2016 Explorer XLT
Hi, Bill!

If you go to your dealer and have 2.8 on your vehicle, you won't be charged by your dealership to update to 2.11. If you already have 2.11, they can charge you if you aren't having any issues and choose to re-flash your system.

Rebecca
Rebecca, thank you for the quick response. But, it is a $hitty answer. Not your fault. Please understand.

This is my 4th Explorer since 2003. I would think I am a pretty loyal customer. I bought one of Ford's flagship trucks last year for over $46,000. It's a great truck, I love it. Ford hit many homeruns with it. But let's be honest. MFT is a piece of garbage. Followed close behind by your Nav system. I'd buy another Explorer tomorrow. I'd tell my friends too.

I had 2.8 when the truck was new. Then upgraded to 2.11. But if I have to pay for a system update to correct a crappy system, I won't be happy.

Don't ask me to PM you my VIN, and have someone else contact me. I really don't have the time or patience for that approach.

Just venting. But, Ford needs to have a better system to handle this chronic and plaguing issue.

FordIVTteam

Official Ford Rep
Reaction score
City, State
Dearborn, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ford Explorer
Rebecca, thank you for the quick response. But, it is a $hitty answer. Not your fault. Please understand.

This is my 4th Explorer since 2003. I would think I am a pretty loyal customer. I bought one of Ford's flagship trucks last year for over $46,000. It's a great truck, I love it. Ford hit many homeruns with it. But let's be honest. MFT is a piece of garbage. Followed close behind by your Nav system. I'd buy another Explorer tomorrow. I'd tell my friends too.

I had 2.8 when the truck was new. Then upgraded to 2.11. But if I have to pay for a system update to correct a crappy system, I won't be happy.

Don't ask me to PM you my VIN, and have someone else contact me. I really don't have the time or patience for that approach.

Just venting. But, Ford needs to have a better system to handle this chronic and plaguing issue.
I understand your frustration and that it's not directed toward me, Bill :)

Generally, if you're having issues with your MFT, they won't charge for a re-flash but I do have to tell you that it's up to the dealership. If you would like to discuss any issues you're having, please feel free to contact me. I'm the support for MFT, SYNC, and Navigation so if you PM me, you're stuck with me! ;)

Rebecca

Last edited:

Flying68

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ex Ownr 12 Explr Lmtd AWD

I guess I should feel lucky that I have only owned my Ex since October. I have only had to pull the fuse 2 times and have only had a handful of uncommanded resets. The Telenav based system lags way behind the Navtec DVD based system in my wife's Murano, not to mention the fact taht we never have to eject that DVD to "reseat" it.

However, the reason I post is not to just pile on the faults of the system, but I thought you were being a little harsh. The OP didn't specify if he already had 2.11 or still had 2.8. If a person still has 2.8 then updating to 2.11 would be a warranty item and no charge. If they had 2.11 and had problems that were related to a corrupted download then reflashing the system with 2.11 would be a warranty item. If you have 2.11 and are just complaining or demanding it to be reloaded even if there is no need, then the dealer could charge for it. It has already been stated that the new MFT version will be sent free of charge on a thumb drive and that dealers will also do the update free. Hopefully it won't take until the very end of Q1 to get the update but that is probably when it will be.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
H cigarette lighter socket, how long does it take for the power to go off? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 16
T How long does it take for the Brochure to be sent? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
1 How long for an engine replacement? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
S Slow Start Long Crank 2016 XLT Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
P Smoke on long idle.... EGR Valve??? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 9
E How long will it last? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 21
Jon M So long 2013, hello 2015. Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
R So long, and thanks for the help over the years. Bonus: BMW Comparison Info Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 40
J Remote Start Long Range Antenna Mounting Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
R An Honest review of 5th generation Explorer (long) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 63
JDraper Long Distance Towing Report Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
P Differences in Gas Mileage on Long Trips Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
M Autolamps take long time to go off... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
A My first Ford experience disappointing... ( long and pic heavy ) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 19
S So long goodbye Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
B Long distance trailing? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
C How long to hit the 10k mark? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 14
F Inside line long term X Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 0
J Brochure Coupon? How long to receive? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 65
G Long trip ahead Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
T Fuel Display Issue?? (little long) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
C Adding a terrain management switch to an explorer that does not have one? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Where does this plug into? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 5
G Does keeping a key FOB shielded drain the battery? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 7
G How does windshield moulding attach? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
R 2013 to 2019 Upper Strut Mount - Does not turn freely, normal? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
M Turning indicator light (2017) sometimes does not work Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 2
E Does anyone know..... Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
edwx Does my 2017 Explorer have a cabin air filter? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
O Does the 2013 Explorer Sport have a transfer case oil cooler? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
A 2012 Explorer XLT 4wd does not start Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
S Does anyone have a pic of a dash in a 2017 XLT Explorer Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
B How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 34
B Does anyone actually love their 5th gen Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 67
F How to tell (from the circuit board )what does a 4 button remote does Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Does anyone know? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Does the 2013 Limited have global open/close? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 3
D Does a "California emissions system" affect performance? (2017 Explorer) Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 20
L Does anyone make vehicle specific LED Light bar brackets for the Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
B Does this battery need to be replaced? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12
Jon M How does a new battery fix various issues? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
S Does F-150 use same ecoboost as Explorer Sport and Platinum? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 13
DeLeSaAZ Does tinkering/adding this/that affect warranty OR ESP? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 8
1 What does everyone want to see in the redesign of the Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 71
1 4.8L V8 to replace Coyote. Will go to #1 Fords. Does that include Explorer? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
D Does Lower arm assembly replacement affect wheel alignment? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 6
J How Does Battery Saver Program Work ? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
1 Does this look like a leak? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 1
B Does USB Music stick cause power drain? Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 4
Sgt1411 Does vehicle color affect interior temperature Stock 2011 - 2019 Ford Explorer Discussion 12