How long does it take to download Sync updates to Thumbdrive? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long does it take to download Sync updates to Thumbdrive?

Glockfan

Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Platinum
I have been trying to download a sync update for a while but all I am getting is a white box with a black bar scrolling across. I am using a Mac but downloaded google chrome prior to attempting the update..How long does it normally take? thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are talking about the update that has been out for several months, it took 30-40 minutes with the engine running. Thought it would never load. It still did not fix the bugs but better. Have to reset the clock weekly. No black screen since update. Not happy with MFT.

I can't get it to download to my usb drive..

The process works better on Windows.

If you are talking about the update that has been out for several months, it took 30-40 minutes with the engine running. Thought it would never load. It still did not fix the bugs but better. Have to reset the clock weekly. No black screen since update. Not happy with MFT.

Go to your dealer and they will open a ticket with your issue and update your system for you.

I have been trying to download a sync update for a while but all I am getting is a white box with a black bar scrolling across. I am using a Mac but downloaded google chrome prior to attempting the update..How long does it normally take? thanks

It should take about 5 minutes depending on the speed of your internet. What version of Chrome did you download? Here's a link to our supported browsers:

http://www.syncmyride.com/Own/Modules/FaqManagement/FaqDetail.aspx?faqId=227

Google Chrome™ (versions 6–13) for Mac® and Windows®
Internet Explorer® (versions 7–9) for Windows
Mozilla Firefox® (versions 3–6) for Windows

There are a few other troubleshooting tips in the above FAQ to try. Or like boss377 said, you can always have your dealer do it. Let us know how it goes or if you need more help! :)

Rebecca

Rebecca, are we going to be charged by the dealership to do this update?

Hi, Bill!

If you go to your dealer and have 2.8 on your vehicle, you won't be charged by your dealership to update to 2.11. If you already have 2.11, they can charge you if you aren't having any issues and choose to re-flash your system.

Rebecca

Hi, Bill!

If you go to your dealer and have 2.8 on your vehicle, you won't be charged by your dealership to update to 2.11. If you already have 2.11, they can charge you if you aren't having any issues and choose to re-flash your system.

Rebecca

Rebecca, thank you for the quick response. But, it is a $hitty answer. Not your fault. Please understand.

This is my 4th Explorer since 2003. I would think I am a pretty loyal customer. I bought one of Ford's flagship trucks last year for over $46,000. It's a great truck, I love it. Ford hit many homeruns with it. But let's be honest. MFT is a piece of garbage. Followed close behind by your Nav system. I'd buy another Explorer tomorrow. I'd tell my friends too.

I had 2.8 when the truck was new. Then upgraded to 2.11. But if I have to pay for a system update to correct a crappy system, I won't be happy.

Don't ask me to PM you my VIN, and have someone else contact me. I really don't have the time or patience for that approach.

Just venting. But, Ford needs to have a better system to handle this chronic and plaguing issue.

Rebecca, thank you for the quick response. But, it is a $hitty answer. Not your fault. Please understand.

This is my 4th Explorer since 2003. I would think I am a pretty loyal customer. I bought one of Ford's flagship trucks last year for over $46,000. It's a great truck, I love it. Ford hit many homeruns with it. But let's be honest. MFT is a piece of garbage. Followed close behind by your Nav system. I'd buy another Explorer tomorrow. I'd tell my friends too.

I had 2.8 when the truck was new. Then upgraded to 2.11. But if I have to pay for a system update to correct a crappy system, I won't be happy.

Don't ask me to PM you my VIN, and have someone else contact me. I really don't have the time or patience for that approach.

Just venting. But, Ford needs to have a better system to handle this chronic and plaguing issue.

I understand your frustration and that it's not directed toward me, Bill :)

Generally, if you're having issues with your MFT, they won't charge for a re-flash but I do have to tell you that it's up to the dealership. If you would like to discuss any issues you're having, please feel free to contact me. I'm the support for MFT, SYNC, and Navigation so if you PM me, you're stuck with me! ;)

Rebecca

I guess I should feel lucky that I have only owned my Ex since October. I have only had to pull the fuse 2 times and have only had a handful of uncommanded resets. The Telenav based system lags way behind the Navtec DVD based system in my wife's Murano, not to mention the fact taht we never have to eject that DVD to "reseat" it.

However, the reason I post is not to just pile on the faults of the system, but I thought you were being a little harsh. The OP didn't specify if he already had 2.11 or still had 2.8. If a person still has 2.8 then updating to 2.11 would be a warranty item and no charge. If they had 2.11 and had problems that were related to a corrupted download then reflashing the system with 2.11 would be a warranty item. If you have 2.11 and are just complaining or demanding it to be reloaded even if there is no need, then the dealer could charge for it. It has already been stated that the new MFT version will be sent free of charge on a thumb drive and that dealers will also do the update free. Hopefully it won't take until the very end of Q1 to get the update but that is probably when it will be.

Back