How Long Should Timken Front Wheel Bearings Last? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Long Should Timken Front Wheel Bearings Last?

mikeinri

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer, 94 XLT (RIP)
Self-explanatory question. Timkens seem to have a 12-month warranty, what is your experience with them?

I've gone roughly 70,000 miles over 3 years since replacing my wheel bearings (all 4 wheels) with Timkens. I'm starting to get that familiar hum from the front left one.

I was really hoping to get more out of these bearings. I got about 100,000 miles (and 6 years) out of the (presumably) original wheel bearings.

Looking back at my previous diatribe, it might be worth letting the local shop deal with this. Full details of the horror stories can be found here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=276746

Mike

Probably just as long as the original ones. The problem seems to be that the bearings are undersized and just aren't strong enough to hold up over time in the Explorer application. Makes me cringe at the idea of using a cheaper replacement than Timkens (OE?)...

I put timkens in the rears in my GFs 02 about a year and a half 2 years ago....MAYBE 8-10k miles ago......roaring again....been roaring for a few months...im disapointed....I just put timkens in Mine a month ago...so...i HOPE they last...ima keep track of dates this time...

Ugh. I don't ever want to touch the rear end of this truck again. The last time I had to do all 4 corners, it took 3 full weekends (and the truck was un-driveable the entire time).

Mike

Back