How long to replace radius arm bushing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How long to replace radius arm bushing

stevedud

Reaction score
City, State
Lincroft, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
I've read all about replacing these bushings on my 92 XLT 4x4. I've lucked out and I don't think I have the rivets. Does someone have a picture of what they look like?

Assuming I don't have the rivots, how long will it take me to replace them?

Steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look closer, you have rivets, I can almost guarantee it.

The radius arm crossmember has bolts that hold the 2 sides together (4), 2 bolts per side that mount the bracket to the frame, and also 2 rivets per side holding the same brackets to the frame.

total job time with the right tools = 3-4 hours. with the learning curve for somebody who has never done them before plan an entire day/weekend.

I did a 92 Navajo last week in 4 hours total.
Cost was $40 in parts including the bushing kit and 4(ea) grade 8 bolts. 1/2" dia x 1.5" long, lock washers, washers and nuts.

This method is 5x's easier then dropping the entire front end and if done right an alignment may not be needed (still suggested)

You will need a 4" grinder, just take the heads of the rivets down flush with the frame, make sure the axle beam is supported and the frame is supported and the rivets will pop right out. the easiest way to push the rivets out is with an air chissel.

Drill the holes out to accept the 1/2" bolts, replace the bushings, bolt it all back together and you are done.

Shops will charge $5-600 to do this job, I charged my friend $350, but I also serviced the auto hubs, wheel bearings, and replaced the front brake pads.........

You will want to hold the plastic fender liners back with a long piece of wire to give yourself room to work.

Its not that hard, given you have the right tools, wear a face shield and dont be afraid of sparks.
ON the drivers side you will need to also unbolt the fuel filter bracket, 2 small bolts.

It's also a good idea to get some black spray paint and paint the frame rails and crossmember before bolting it back together to make a clean installation and prevent rust.

Good luck!!!!!

My 4x4 shop charged me $ 173 including parts. I replaced them at over 150k miles.

wow thats cheap!!!!!!!!

Good shop.........in Denver they wouldnt even look at you for that price., shop rate is $70/hr, some specialty 4x4 shops its $80

I think they were charging me $45/hour. That is a little cheap even around here. I normally expect to pay $50 to $65/ per hour for a mechanic.

In this photo the blue circles indicate where the rivets would be. The 4th rivet was not in the picture, but both brackets are symmetrical.
Radius Arm Brackets (off vehicle)

I would plan on this job taking an entire weekend for any unforeseen issues which come up (They always do). If you ever plan on removing the coil spring then you will need to pick up a 28mm 6pt Deep Socket (this is hard to find). This socket is used on the Coil spring nut, and the 3 nuts/bolts which secure the Radius arm. Some people use a 1 1/8" socket, but a 28mm will fit without any slop. This is important since you will be putting some serious torque on these nuts.. I read all the postings and visited Dead Link Removed If you do plan on taking on this job I can provide a more detailed step by step including the mistakes I made and how to avoid them...Mistakes like- you should heat the RA nuts with propane torch for 2 minutes in order to break the Red high strength loctite. I didn't do this and the nut wouldn't budge under the load of a 3.5ft cheater pipe. Once heated the nut came right off...

I would only use Flexible polyurethane bushings. I had picked up some Perfect Circle poly bushings and they were as hard as a rock. These would work ok, but give you a harsh ride. I ended up picking up some Energy Suspension Bushings. They are flexible and give a nice ride. To the credit of Perfect Circle it's RA bushing kit came with ALL replacement hardware (large cup washer, large nut washer, and bushing spacer). The E.S kit had just the Bushings. I ended up using the new hardware from the P.C with the E.S. Bushings.

Back