How many Catalytic Converters | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many Catalytic Converters

Fordman999

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
Hello so I am confused. I have my 2003 Ford Explorer XLT 4WD and I think I actually have 3 catalytic converters. And when I went online they are only advertising a universal converter for my rear cat. I guess that is the main one that usually gives problems. Am I safe to just replace that one? Or should I spend more money and buy the whole Y connection cat system which comes with all 3? I think I have 3 in my SUV correct???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest way to tell is lay on the ground next to the driver side of your vehicle and scooch yourself under it so you can see the exhaust. The muffler is under the rear driver passenger, check forward of that for the total number of cats you have.

Do you have a code for a bad cat? Cats fail because of engine issues. If you haven't fixed the engine issues, then your new cat will also fail.

Do you have a code for a bad cat? Cats fail because of engine issues. If you haven't fixed the engine issues, then your new cat will also fail.

Hey Number 4 you're right. Believe it or not this might sound crazy but when I decided to change my oil to Amsoil the problems started happening. About 2 weeks after putting Amsoil I checked the level with the dipstick and somehow had burned 2 quarts of oil?! That had never happened with Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic. And I don't have any oil leaking from any gaskets or anything because when I went back to my regular oil everything is just fine. What I think happened is that the Amsoil oil leaked through somehow through some gasket or some way and into my cat which caused my engine to run too rich and ended up clogging my Catalytic Converter. I do have 186,000 miles anyway so I'm sure it was already on its way out. Lets see what happenes. Tech Guru found me a good price on a complete Cat so I'm good to go for now.

Hey Number 4 you're right. Believe it or not this might sound crazy but when I decided to change my oil to Amsoil the problems started happening. About 2 weeks after putting Amsoil I checked the level with the dipstick and somehow had burned 2 quarts of oil?! That had never happened with Mobil 1 or Valvoline Synthetic. And I don't have any oil leaking from any gaskets or anything because when I went back to my regular oil everything is just fine. What I think happened is that the Amsoil oil leaked through somehow through some gasket or some way and into my cat which caused my engine to run too rich and ended up clogging my Catalytic Converter. I do have 186,000 miles anyway so I'm sure it was already on its way out. Lets see what happenes. Tech Guru found me a good price on a complete Cat so I'm good to go for now.

Enough with the fancy oils everyone. I use regular Castrol GTX 5W-30 with a Motorcraft FL820S filter every 3 months/3000 miles. Cost me on average $20 a oil change buying this at Walmart. I have yet to lose any oil between oil changes and my oil actually still looks pretty clean after 3000 miles. Previous owner used mostly Pennzoil Synthetic except for the last few years.

If I ever start to lose oil between changes due to burning I'd only switch to Chevron Delo 15W-40. It's what I use in both of my 25 year old + engines.

Many many years ago I was running Castrol GTX 5W-30 in a turbocharged car. On day I switched to Valvoline 5W30. Two days later my turbo blows it's bearing seal, dumps all the oil into the exhaust causing all the vehicles behind me to slam on their brakes because the smoke was too thick and caused the engine to spin and throw a rod.

After getting a replacement engine from a junkyard and a rebuilt turbo I now use nothing but Delo 15W-40 in that car and it's been great.

In summery, if you're oil is working for you don't switch to something different.

Yes, I agree with Number4, do not spend the time and money replacing the cat assembly without fixing or at least looking into the reason the cat failed. Look around for any signs of leakage as you mentioned that could be a possibility. The mileage is getting up there but maintaining the vehicle will make it last a very long life. Fluids are an easy thing to screw up for new diy-ers, remember always check your vehicles owners manual for the correct fluid to use. If you've been using something different from that however, and it's been working fine, keep it that way. Cars are like people, especially new ones, they adapt to their surroundings and when you change something drastic, they may upset.

Your explorer certainly has 3 converters, they are available in the y assembly for around $600. Its expensive, but once replaced your CEL will go out. Universal cats will not fix the CEL. It will remain on even if the cat is brand new as the OBD computer senses different readings from factory parts compared to universal ones.

You're right, my bad, I was thinking of a price quoted to me by one of my buddies which included labor a while back lol.

Back