How many Cats on a late model 2004 Explorer 4.0L? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many Cats on a late model 2004 Explorer 4.0L?

Luky

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I took my wife’s Explorer in for a Smog check today (Kalifornia) and they failed it for a "missing" catalytic converter. It has two (one on each) down pipe, but then after the 2-1, they said there is supposed to be a 3rd converter just in front of the muffler so it failed the visual inspection (passed emissions though).

This is a stock 2004 Eddie Bauer Explorer with the 4.0L, Auto Tranny, 2WD, and 111k. We are the original owners. The build date is 06/04. In looking up the parts I see that they changed catalytic converters from 03/01/04 on forward, and the cost went down by about $160, but I cannot find a diagram/parts fiche showing the difference.

Looking at "aftermarket" replacements I see Y pipes for my truck with both 2 and 3 cats on them... :(

We just got it back from a body shop about two months ago (she was rear ended, the trailer hitch saved it from major damage) and I had them "replace the exhaust" as part of the insurance repair since the tail pipe was slightly damaged and the system was pushed forward a bit. The repair quote just shows the muffler and tail pipe being R&R. Under the truck you can tell the muffler and tail pipe are newer metal, but in front of them it all has light rust. If they actually did "remove" the "3rd cat" in front of the muffler, they did a really excellent job welding the straight pipe back to the Y pipe. Looks like a robot did it...

So I really need to know if I am missing a 3rd cat or if the late 2004 and 2005 V6 Explorers only had two cats...

Thanks!

The 2004 4.0L "Late Production" models only had the two on the Y-pipe, early production had three. The 2005 shows having three again.

Check your private messages here.

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the info. I have called two different Ford dealerships this morning and talked with the parts guys and they both said that their "book" only shows the Y pipe with three cats for my VIN (and the door sticker shows the 06/04 build date).

I also contacted the Body shop that worked on it and he said his books only show three cats on the Y pipe (and his smog shop confirms this). So if you can reference a Ford manual that only shows the two Cat Y pipe on my build month, that would be awesome! I sent you a PM with my email address and I would really appreciate the pics.

It's a real PITA that I have to "prove" our truck has not been tampered with because Ford changed the configuration around for a short period and did not document it well...

Eric

Sent you the info but it doesn't specify a date, just Late Production.

Sent a link for help to a Ford Parts Tech over on the other Sport Trac forum. We'll see what he can come up with.

Back