How many happy 3rd gen owners do we have? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many happy 3rd gen owners do we have?

BrianDye

I'll have another...
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT
I have an interview for a much better paying job that ill hopefully get here real soon!

Ive had my first gen, a few second gens, and i've have my eyes on 3rd gens lately. I love the fact that theyre a bit bigger than the second gens, and I absolutely love everything about the interior. I wanted to get one when I was looking for my current X, but money would have been a bit too tight. (Ive noticed they seem to get a little lower MPGs, and I bet insurance is a bit higher)

Im just curious, how many of you would purchase another 3rd gen?

I hear about a hell of a lot of problems with them, most of them being some more severe issues too, like tranny, rearend, etc.

Would you buy another 3rd gen, or skip to a 4th gen? (Really only interested in the V8's, and definitely will be looking for a Limited/Eddie model.)

Im only thinking aloud here, just asking for some opinions. Im not selling my Explorer anytime soon, shes problem free & runs and drives like a champ.
(Please dont post if your gonna say that I "just" got my Explorer and whatnot. Ive had it for a year now, which I know isnt too long, but now that [hopefully] ill have a decent ammount of income, id like to possibly upgrade.)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey mate! Bloody happy with mine and no offence meant to 4th genners but if you skip to one, bung a 3rd gen front end on it!!!

It's a crap shoot I lucked out on mine. I also do my own repairs on mine so it really isn't a big deal when something breaks. Just make sure the trans shifts through all gears and the motor runs strong and the rest u can figure out good luck....

Well I bought my girl an 04 Explorer with 102k on it last month. It had overheated and took out the head gaskets. It was a 1 owner truck that was out in the country so mostly hwy driving. I bought the truck thinking I might just have to put a motor in it but I have........

-Put an 07 Ranger sohc with 34k in it.
-Rebuilt the rear end with all new bearings and axle seals (had a leaking pinion seal, L/S made a ton of noise and a carrier bearing was toast)
-Lower and upper front ball joints (all had play, tie rods might have another 20k)
-Trans filter and fluid (pain in the ass to get the right amount of fluid in)
-Fixed 6 disc radio (volume knob was crazy)
-Brakes and rotors all around, Oil, Power steering, Coolant, T-case fluid changed (General Maintenance)
-Of course it has the crack in the back moulding
-1"-2" spot of oxidation on the hood where the paint has flaked off (Aluminum hood problem)
-A/C charge is low
-Backup sensor dead (still to do)
-Still has a howl in the rear at speeds 40+ (Ordered 2 wheel bearings)

It just seems like I shouldn't have to do but half of those things to a car with this age/miles. If I didn't get it pretty cheap, I would be really irritated. I went into it knowing most of the common issues and figured ah it won't be bad but I have practically rebuilt the thing. I'll stick with my 2nd gen.

For me it is a love-hate relationship. I had an '03 Mountaineer that had the tranny and differential rebuilt at 112k miles. It also needed some attention to the front end but it was totaled before I dumped more money into it. That being said, I replaced it with another third gen Explorer with 49k miles on it. IMO, Ford hit the nail on the head with the functional design and driving experience with the third gens and this is why I chose another one. I also think they tried to get too fancy with the independent rear suspension and a transmission that has a huge design flaw.

So overall I am happy with my third gen but it comes at the price of paranoia about when one of the engineering flaws will bite me. I am hoping that by buying a lower mileage Explorer I can hedge my bets on reliability by sticking to an aggressive preventive maintenance schedule. Time will tell if this strategy pays off. I can say that this will probably be the last third gen I will own and maybe even the last Explorer.

Mine hasn't given me any major issues * knock on wood x 2*, I enjoy driving it and so far does what I need it to do... which is move and get me from point A to B. Like any vehicle, aslong as you take care of it and do required maintenance, it will take care of you. Unfortunately all 3rd gens being used vehicle now, it will be a hit or miss on finding one that was well taken care of and not neglected. I hit getting mine seeing previous owner did everything required to keep it running which of course is paying off now seeing I just now logged 163k miles on the original tranny and engine and of course is the troubled 02' model. I still continue what the previous owner did and keep her running by performing maintenance work required.

Being stationed overseas there are Ford dealerships along with auto hobby shops for me to work or have it worked on, but I already told my wife that once she craps out or starts giving us serious issues, trading it in on a new Audi A3 U.S. Spec.

well the Wife's Monty ('04 4.6L AWD) now has 180K on the odo. In that time the following time line has transpired:

* 15,000 transmission shifting funny, new solenoid pack installed under warranty.

* 17,000 front rotors are warped and shuddering... New NON-ford slotted/dimpled rotors, Ceramic Pads solve this and last till over 85,000.

* 32,000 shifting Sh*ty again, another solenoid pack under warranty.

* 47,000 shifting all crazy/wonky new valve body & THIRD solenoid pack. Trans finally shifts "normally" for an Explorer/Monty... the constant slippy shifts into every gear we just ignore.

* 87,000 new pads, aftermarket rotors wearing just fine.

* 90,000 random oil puke of anywhere from 1 tbs to 1/3 quart of oil on the ground. No rhyme or reason. Will list this as the most frusterating and puzzling problem. will fight this until almost 150K... turns out there is a defect in the oil filter/oil cooler gasket from Ford... FelPro gasket $35, and 5 hours of cussing on my back... finally gets solved.

* 123,00 ABS light turns out to be Pass Front ABS sensor due to bearings in hub going. Hub with Sensor $150, 45 minutes in the driveway. THAT friends is an reasonable fix for a $90 ABS sensor that wasn't the real problem and would have been harder... do the whole hub.

* 158,000 ABS light again... Driver's side hub/sensor. Also odd random stall/shudder/drivability issue. turns out oil build up on the back of TB and intake manifold elbow. $6 and 2 hours... nice afternoon.

* 180,000 (this saturday) engine starts ticking then knocking on moderate to heavy acceleration.

That is as of today.... Am I am happy 3rd gen owner? Yep... how many other vehicles do you know of that will tow 14 mustangs across a total of 11 states, carry 4-7 people, in comfort, handle any weather from St. Louis humidity & ice/snow to the Texas heat and random Ice, and reaslitically only wear out tires, brakes and a very VERY random major component?

I have 180, 416 miles on our 2004 Monty and I ahve never worried about the starter, the alt, the rear end, the major suspension, hell I am still on stock strut/shocks! Truck rides/drives 80% as well as it did the day she drove it home.

I'm about to put a new engine and rebuild the trans this next week and take her another 200K... suspension and such will all need thier attention... but if we put away 1/2 a normal car payment... we'd still have $4 in the bank. The truck is wonderful.

Rob

well the Wife's Monty ('04 4.6L AWD) now has 180K on the odo. In that time the following time line has transpired:

* 15,000 transmission shifting funny, new solenoid pack installed under warranty.

* 17,000 front rotors are warped and shuddering... New NON-ford slotted/dimpled rotors, Ceramic Pads solve this and last till over 85,000.

* 32,000 shifting Sh*ty again, another solenoid pack under warranty.

* 47,000 shifting all crazy/wonky new valve body & THIRD solenoid pack. Trans finally shifts "normally" for an Explorer/Monty... the constant slippy shifts into every gear we just ignore.

* 87,000 new pads, aftermarket rotors wearing just fine.

* 90,000 random oil puke of anywhere from 1 tbs to 1/3 quart of oil on the ground. No rhyme or reason. Will list this as the most frusterating and puzzling problem. will fight this until almost 150K... turns out there is a defect in the oil filter/oil cooler gasket from Ford... FelPro gasket $35, and 5 hours of cussing on my back... finally gets solved.

* 123,00 ABS light turns out to be Pass Front ABS sensor due to bearings in hub going. Hub with Sensor $150, 45 minutes in the driveway. THAT friends is an reasonable fix for a $90 ABS sensor that wasn't the real problem and would have been harder... do the whole hub.

* 158,000 ABS light again... Driver's side hub/sensor. Also odd random stall/shudder/drivability issue. turns out oil build up on the back of TB and intake manifold elbow. $6 and 2 hours... nice afternoon.

* 180,000 (this saturday) engine starts ticking then knocking on moderate to heavy acceleration.

That is as of today.... Am I am happy 3rd gen owner? Yep... how many other vehicles do you know of that will tow 14 mustangs across a total of 11 states, carry 4-7 people, in comfort, handle any weather from St. Louis humidity & ice/snow to the Texas heat and random Ice, and reaslitically only wear out tires, brakes and a very VERY random major component?

I have 180, 416 miles on our 2004 Monty and I ahve never worried about the starter, the alt, the rear end, the major suspension, hell I am still on stock strut/shocks! Truck rides/drives 80% as well as it did the day she drove it home.

I'm about to put a new engine and rebuild the trans this next week and take her another 200K... suspension and such will all need thier attention... but if we put away 1/2 a normal car payment... we'd still have $4 in the bank. The truck is wonderful.

Rob

this makes me want to keep my 3rd gen forever lol...:thumbsup:

I never wanted the 3rd gen explorer....i wanted to buy a car but was talked into it by my father...Its a LOVE and HATE relationship here ...something like a girlfriend that doesnt go away ...as much as i want to get rid of it when it gives me problems its still there and end up fixing them...

The only thing different i would do it buy a v8...maybe ill just swap one in there one day....the truck drives great...its comfortable and i enjoy it...

Happy 3rd gen owner here :thumbsup:

Been satisfied with mine. Only owned it the last 12 month so we're still in the honeymoon phase, even though it was a bit long on mileage when I bought it. But it seems to have been well maintained and, as long as I don't have to tow anything more than a jet ski, I'm not worried about the fact that it's on its' third tranny. Previous owner did alot of towing. I don't do any.

:)I would agree that it's a love it/hate it relationship. I got mine cheap with ultra low miles 4 years ago. She's been very well cared for and driven gently(most of the time). If you're buying a 3rd Gen. go for the something beyond the 02'. I've been through 3 wheel bearings, worn out clutchpacks in the rearend, and now it's got the dreaded rearend howl. Don't get me wrong, I love my Ex but as much as it makes sense to dump it for something cheaper on gas and repairs I just can't bring myself to selling her. i owned a 2nd gen that never asked for a dime beyond normal wear and tear and sold her @ 150,000 miles. It seemed much more bullet proof and did everything I ask. I drive my 3rd gen with kid gloves for fear of breaking something. Best of luck though, they millions of these things for reason...PEOPLE LOVE THEM!

I have an 05 with 72,000 miles. I am on a third left rear bearing, and had some problems with the emergency brakes. But otherwise it has done OK.

It drives and rides a lot better than a Gen I or II. Lots of room. Rollover stabilty program.

I bought it new, and got it for about $25000. Other than the wheel bearing it has been a good vehicle. I would buy another one if the price were right.

Awesome guys! Thanks for all the responses so far! Keep em comin!

(If your NOT satisfied with your 3rd gen, please also chime in!)

I have an '03 Limited. LOVE IT. got it for a steal. (8000). But I need some help. Wanting to remove my center 2nd row for bucket seats. And my "entertainment center" (overhead DVD player) doesn't work. Any word on where or how to get a replacement?

I have an '03 Limited. LOVE IT. got it for a steal. (8000). But I need some help. Wanting to remove my center 2nd row for bucket seats. And my "entertainment center" (overhead DVD player) doesn't work. Any word on where or how to get a replacement?

My advice is to start another thread. Your question is buried in this thread and it won't get much attention.

I have been very pleased my 4.0L XLT, I'm at 147K miles and vehicle has been very reliable. I've been hit with a few problems, but the list is pretty short for a 10 year old vehicle.

70K miles: rear blend door in HVAC system (clicking noise)
110K miles: replaced wheel bearings
140K miles: replaced rear springs (one was broken)

Tires & brakes have all gone 70K+ miles before wearing out. No transmission problems, only service was transmission flush at 105K miles.

I've been looking for an excuse to buy a new truck, but it hard to justify when my current one is still going strong.

Got an '04 XLT V8 with about 75K miles - no complaints. Picked it up off a dealer for 2500 below bluebook when gas had spiked to $4.00 a gal. Replaced brakes and rotors all around when one of the parking brake shoes came apart (which I hear is somewhat common). Other maintenance is tie rod ends and two ignition coils. I plan on replacing the other 6 coils plus plugs before winter as a third cylinder has an occasional skip at idle on damp days.

It's comfortable, roomy and has no trouble getting 20+ MPG on the highway if kept somewhat near the speed limit. If you're in a hurry, it will hold the road fine at 80 MPH, but sucks gas at that speed.

I also have a 2nd gen V8, and the 3rd gen will always get 2 MPG better, maybe more. The difference in interior room is really noticeable between the two, but the 2nd gen fits in parking spaces a lot easier.

Awesome!

Im really nervous though about the "groan" im always hearing about in the rear end...I heard its VERY common...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does everything I want/need it to do, I love it!

Back