• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

How many have tuned their STs?

Have you added a tuner to your ST?

• Yes

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 33.3%
  • Not yet but will be doing so

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I am just curious as to how many folks have already tuned their 2020+ STs. I am in the not yet but will be doing so category.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

RDynamic

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Ford Edge SEL
I've seen some tuned ST's go 0-60 in just 3.9 seconds with minor upgrades with the tune! That's X5M territory. I think you could go in the 4.2-4.5 range with just a tune. I'd recommend it.

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
IMHO the new SPORT mode is enough of a tune for me but I'm not racing mine on weekends so different duty cycle.

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
The extra power is one thing, but a tune also nets you extra features (depending on tuner): firmer shifts, display gear always, disable auto start/stop.

jhu8

Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Ford Explorer Limited
IMHO the new SPORT mode is enough of a tune for me but I'm not racing mine on weekends so different duty cycle.
Just clarifying as someone who doesn’t own an ST yet, when you say “new sport mode”, are you just talking about the the regular sport that comes with the ST? Like there wasn’t any new updates from Ford or anything was there?

Sgt1411

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
VanBC/GoodyearAZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer ST
Callsign
PRINCE51
Just clarifying as someone who doesn’t own an ST yet, when you say “new sport mode”, are you just talking about the the regular sport that comes with the ST? Like there wasn’t any new updates from Ford or anything was there?
Yes correct the "Sport Mode" that changes the vehicle dynamics when you turn the round selector on the center console. I have access to the engineers who worked on this vehicle so I will do my best to find out exactly what happens when the "Sport" mode is engaged

themishmosh

Reaction score
City, State
NE Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
Sport mode is on all Explorers: increased throttle response, faster shifts, and holds gears longer. For sporty feel moreso than being actually faster.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
Sport mode is on all Explorers: increased throttle response, faster shifts, and holds gears longer. For sporty feel moreso than being actually faster.

And don't forget the vroom, vroom sounds piped into the cabin through the sound system to make it seem like the car has a high flow exhaust on it ;)

Forddealz

Reaction score
City, State
NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer ST
And don't forget the vroom, vroom sounds piped into the cabin through the sound system to make it seem like the car has a high flow exhaust on it ;)
I am happy with Borla exhaust in normal mode. Makes real nice sound and it seems like you actually are pressing on the gas pedal.