• Register Today It's free!

How many miles do you all have?

mtnlovrs

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer XLT
I'm just wondering how many miles everyone has put on their Explorer's over the years and tell some of the experiences you may have enjoyed or endured.

I originally posted the following on 4/3/11 in a different thread, I got a little off the subject and decided to start a new thread:
I have over 170K on her and could never part with her. I bought mine for $6200 bucks, when it was still worth $9600, and it was like brand new! I've tried to keep her that way and she's still in darn good shape with no rust. I'm getting ready to put a new (Rebuilt) crate engine in her from Ford for $2042 and I'm planning on getting another 200K out of her! She still runs good but has a slight knock.:salute:
On 5/6/11 I wrote:
She's still running good and the slight knock hasn't got any worse. I haven't had the time to do the engine swop and it's vacation time again! I drove it on vacation last year for 5000 miles on mountainous terrain and she did just fine with the knock. So, next week we're going to the Black Hills to camp and take a bunch of trails in the back country! I'm confident that she'll do fine this time as well. She's still worth a million+ to me!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, all! I'm back from the Black Hills...

The old Explorer ran great and I had no problems! Before I left, I replaced the parking brake shoes (first time), and the rear shocks with Monroe Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting shocks (purchased from O'Reilly with a lifetime warranty). They are awesome! I can't believe what a difference they made on the ride quality! It completely eliminated the whip lash I used to get going over uneven surfaces - I should have done this years ago!!!:D:D:D
It rained most of the time we were there and the back roads were really muddy. I sure could have used some granny gears in my AWD, but it was still a lot of fun!
Oh, I have 178,900 miles on her now.:p:

'99 4.0 OHV with 173,000 miles very soon. Runs great, no knocks or pings. I've replaced starter, regular maintenance items, front hubs, shocks, hood lift supports, rear wiper arm, oil pressure switch, oxygen sensors, and front prop shaft cv joint. I've modified or repaired the back window hinges and the driver side door lock switch. I still need to replace the center console armrest. I plan on replacing the carpet with vinyl flooring (it's already really dirty from kids eating and tracking mud, might as well get something that washes easily). Future mods/upgrades include custom heavy duty leaf springs in the rear and a class iii/iv receiver hitch.

If/when the engine or transmission ever go, I'll probably get an aftermarket pcm tuned for a manual-transmission X and replace the 5R55E transmission with a Mazda M50D and the B/W 4405 transfer case with a B/W 1354m. I'll stick with the OHV engine, even as a replacement, because it has been super easy to keep up with no problems--it's almost reminiscent of the inline 6 in my old F150.

Rebuilt the trans myself, my first auto trans. Other than that, its pretty much been perfect.

DSCF5392.jpg

Rebuilt the trans myself, my first auto trans. Other than that, its pretty much been perfect.
Awesome! 304K is amazing! You should do a Ford comercial. Has the engine ever been rebuilt? Overhauling an automatic transmission is quite an accomplishment. I overhauled the auto trans in my '87 Aerostar many years ago. It cost me $1000 just in parts and I had to purchase a bunch of special tools and borrow some. Every tranny since then I had done at a shop because I think it's worth paying a pro to do the work and get a warranty with it. Good job, by the way!:thumbsup:

Don't really know to be honest with ya. New to my '96 and when purchased it had 143K. Went on it's first road trip the other night and noticed that the odometer works only when it wants to. Haaaa

ive got a 97 ohv 4x4 and ive got 185k on the clock getting 20-23 mpg doing it :)

My '95 is still trucking along, 282,000 miles on the factory Ford engine, and 50,000 on a rebuilt transmission. still knocks down 17mpg in town, and 21 on the road.

My '95 is still trucking along, 282,000 miles on the factory Ford engine, and 50,000 on a rebuilt transmission. still knocks down 17mpg in town, and 21 on the road.
Awesome! V6 or V8? Are you running synthetic or regular oil? Programer? You've got me beat by 100K!:salute:

pushing 200k at 196 right now with the SOHC E.B. refurbished trans and transfer case at 175k. avg econ is about 19 mpg :)

I've got a 1997 SOHC with 56,000. It was my grandpa's Florida car but now it's up in New Jersey.

94' eddie bauer here with 167,x... Runs great, but im getting 12 mpg in town :/

1997 XLT 5.0 V8 2wd 198200 miles - I bought it new in '97, still running factory motor and tranny. I used only full synthetic motor oil and fluids. Was my DD till I got my 2005 F-150, then it became my wife's till I got her a 2010 EB 4x4 last month. Now the '97 has become my project X...

I put 210,000 on my first explorer, a 1991, it was still running when I traded it for my 1998, put 180,000 on it. Now my 2001 only has 98,000.

I have 133K on my 2001 Eddie Bauer 5.0L. Only issue so far is airbag light for side airbag concern knock on wood.

my 96 ohv 4.0 has 260,000, got it with 225,000 and no clue if any tranny or motor work but runs great.

My friends is a 95 ohv 4.0 with 515,000, stock motor, no paint paint flaws but many tranny swaps due to towing i guess. He still winds it out all the time and it keeps kicking.

my 96 ohv 4.0 has 260,000, got it with 225,000 and no clue if any tranny or motor work but runs great.

My friends is a 95 ohv 4.0 with 515,000, stock motor, no paint paint flaws but many tranny swaps due to towing i guess. He still winds it out all the time and it keeps kicking.

515,000... #@!$%&! AMAZING!!! Ever overhauled?

Best I can guess due to tire swaps, about 220k, but still running strong. Tranny was rebuilt prior to my purchase at about 200k.

facimeor- your dash is dusty. Clean your vehicle, will ya? For once? :D

109k on my 97 Mounty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

283,322 on my '95 XLT. Trans died at 225,000. I'll probably keep it till it hits 300,000 miles. It'll hit that goal sometime next year. I've had it 10 years, and just getting bored with it. It looks great, runs great, smells great.

I've personally put 183,000 on it, my brother in law put the first 100,000 on it.

Back