• Register Today It's free!

How many miles do you have

Chevellefan

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT Explorer AWD
I have a '97 XLT explorer AWD 4 door with 144,000 and just checking to see what kind of life I can expect out of mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What engine do you have?
V8, V6 SOHC or V6 OHC?

The SOHC is prone to timing chain component failures. The V8 seems to be the beast and most preferred.

My 98 (SOHC) only has 93,x.. on it. Still nice and quiet as far as timing components goes.

I have 172,573 on my '98 Mounty 5.0........drinks fuel but never fails me:)

I have 188,000 on the 5.0 motor and about 230,000 on the rest of the truck! They will run for a long time if you take care of it and do the proper maintenance!
!

5.0 original trans.

I got a parking brake cable off of a 97 ex with the v8 in a salvage yard and the odometer was at 285,000 miles.

Got 155,256 Miles on my 1996 Eddie Bauer AWD 5.0L V8. I would really like to double that. I love my truck, it has not let me down once. Like mentioned above, regular maintenance and you will be just fine, I also run a Synthetic Blend oil in mine too, great way to aid an engine with some age.

99 xlt eb 5.0 2wd with 130k. Just bought it. Had a bad water pump. had not been started in over 2 years. Fresh battery and runs smooth has glass. 3 speed auto with OD. shifts very smoothly. I have put about 1k miles on it and not a drop of oil on the driveway and not burning any.

A Sweet little. As above, Mileage is not all that hot but 19 on the highway is very doable for me.

Good Luck

Cheers
Rick

178K..4.0 SOHC motor. Have had some mild chain rattle for a long time, but I have no plans to fix it...I'll just wait until it blows up, which I bet will be a long while the way this truck has been.

I have an 08' Ranger 3.0 V6 ext. cab that just hit 58,900 miles, and my wife drives an 07' Ford Edge 3.5L V6 that has 62,900 miles. We do a lot of driving, but both vehicles have been good for us.

'00 Explorer Sport has 124,673 on the clock as of today.

My 08' 3L V6 Ranger is short of 60,000 miles. The last time I drove the vehicle it had approx. 59,975. I was inaccurate with my wife's 07' Ford Edge since she has over 64,000 now.

i got a 94 xlt with 273xxx miles and rebuilt trans. Leaks comin out of everything on the engine and has some internal issues, but it goes 45 miles round trip to work and school on a daily basis.

1997 XLT 5.0 182K

First 3 years as a police vehicle and had 107k.
PO had it 12 years and put 75k on it.

I will only use it for my Fishing Vehicle. Including Ice fishing.
Maybe 2k a year.

97 XLT, V6, OHC, automatic: 287.x.. km (177k miles :) ), with all the original mechanical, although of poor quality gasoline offered in my country.:(

i have a 96 xlt control trac, actually got it right off the factory floor (old lady used to work for ford) 350k on the motor (doesn't burn or leak a drop of oil)and 150k on the transmission. though i'm not sure about it's future having some 4wd issues.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you sure about that AWD? I was under the impression that AWDs were ONLY 5.0V8s. FWIW, I have a '96 v6 4x4 EB with 300,000+ miles on it. Plenty of tranny durability problems, but the engine is all original. (fingers crossed, now that I've opened my big mouth).

Back