How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles does your 5th gen Explorer have?

2018 XLT bought new. Now it has about 4k miles. What is sad is the transmission already had to be replaced due to a leak.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2017 Explorer XLT 3.5L has just over 38,000 miles. Other than a long summer vacation trip, the miles have really slowed down due to working from home since March.

Wanted to start a thread with everyone posting their miles. Please state your year and engine as well.

2018 Platinum 3.5 EcoBoost

527 miles

On our first road trip with her now in Florida, loving it.
2014 Sport AWD 3.5 .ecoboost 65k miles

2017 Platinum 3.5 Eco Boost

14,127 miles

2011 Limited 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 engine, bought new for wife's vehicle. Took delivery in late March or early April (can't remember) of 2011. Now has 178,000 miles. I have to say that other than the initial Sync issues (crap software), a few issues taken care of under warranty, and regular maintenance and wear items, the vehicle has been good to us. There have been a few annoyances with early failures (like the backup camera, the 2 HVAC motors in dash, Park/Shifter switch, armrest fake stitching, and 3rd row seat-backs detaching) but I was able to fix all these myself. A large fraction of the mileage is highway miles (fairly regular 500+ mile round trips). Just bought a new vehicle for my wife and I will continue to drive the Explorer for a while.

2011 Limited 3.5L Ti-VCT V6 engine, bought new for wife's vehicle. Took delivery in late March or early April (can't remember) of 2011. Now has 178,000 miles. I have to say that other than the initial Sync issues (crap software), a few issues taken care of under warranty, and regular maintenance and wear items, the vehicle has been good to us. There have been a few annoyances with early failures (like the backup camera, the 2 HVAC motors in dash, Park/Shifter switch, armrest fake stitching, and 3rd row seat-backs detaching) but I was able to fix all these myself. A large fraction of the mileage is highway miles (fairly regular 500+ mile round trips). Just bought a new vehicle for my wife and I will continue to drive the Explorer for a while.

That's a lot of miles, congrats! In regard to the water pump, timing chain, etc., do you plan to replace the water pump proactively or drive the car till it dies or hopefully leaks to the outside?

That's a lot of miles, congrats! In regard to the water pump, timing chain, etc., do you plan to replace the water pump proactively or drive the car till it dies or hopefully leaks to the outside?

Good question! I only recently learned about this potential issue. Before knowing about this I was just planning to drive it and fix things as they appeared. There is probably some suspension work needed in the next 6-12 mo (harsh sound from front going over rough road). I can do it myself, I have a lift and am willing to do some involved work. But I am not going to do that water pump job myself, so I am looking at ~$2000 repair to do it proactively. I’m not sure what I should do... any advice welcome.

I should also add that now that we have another vehicle the Explorer will likely only see 8-10k miles per year from now on...

Good question! I only recently learned about this potential issue. Before knowing about this I was just planning to drive it and fix things as they appeared. There is probably some suspension work needed in the next 6-12 mo (harsh sound from front going over rough road). I can do it myself, I have a lift and am willing to do some involved work. But I am not going to do that water pump job myself, so I am looking at ~$2000 repair to do it proactively. I’m not sure what I should do... any advice welcome.

Ignorance is bliss. I almost wish I had never learned about it. In regard to your situation, it's all about how you want to use your Explorer in the future, a third car, etc. If you put $2k into it, the value of the car will only increase slightly and maybe not at all. Therefore, the obvious question is what kind of car could you purchase for $2k, not a very good one, plus you know this vehicle very well. In summary, either sell it now or do the proactive work and keep it for a while knowing as cars age odd repairs will surface.

Wanted to start a thread with everyone posting their miles. Please state your year and engine as well.

527 miles

My 2014 Sport has 69780 miles on it. I have the 3.5 EcoBoost.

527 miles

2011 xlt limited 3.5 NA

2017 Explorer Sport
Purchased 06/2016
Current Mileage 82K

I brought my built in January 2017 XLT with the Sport Appearance package in late March 2017. It had 6 miles on the odometer, I now have 44,796 miles showing.

Back