how many miles have you driven since your throttle cable mod? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how many miles have you driven since your throttle cable mod?

Redrig

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Gettysburg,PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Mountaineer
has anyone did the throttle cable mod on a al4d and not had any tranny probs? i did it to mine and shortly after my tranny went. now i have a new tranny, id like to see how long others have had this mod (miles after mod) with no problems. another reason im asking is because some say to adjust the kickdown also and some say dont . so i really dont know wether to do it or not.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If theres any doubt about it screwing somehting up, I wouldn't do it. But the again, I don't have a kick-down cable so I have no idea, This is yet another one of my worthless posts:D

While I have no experiance with the A4LD, I do know that proper kickdown cable operation is necessary since it controls fluid pressure. Worth looking into. Best bet would be to readjust the kickdown cable after the mod is done.

It's been roughly ~700 miles since I did mine.

Nearly 190k on this tranny (a4ld) and not one rebuild or failure.

Guess I got lucky.

Originally posted by IAmTodd
This is yet another one of my worthless posts:D

Ohh yeah, those are rare to see around here. ;)

Present poster included. :D

How can essentially taking the slack out of you throttle cable affect your tranny?

Are we talking about the mod that puts a zip tie above your pedal or and I being stupid this late at night?

yeah thats the mod but it makes your kickdown work differently or something causing harm im not sure yety on it

Kickdown???

An explorer trans going out is nothing to get surprised about. How many miles? Did you drive it harder after the mod? It may have been the last straw.

I have put about 3000 miles on my truck since doing the throttle cable mod and have had zero problems with the my a4ld on my 94 Ex. Also i have 62,000 miles on my original tranny, no rebuilds or new ones.

i read a thread that said if you dont adjust the kickdown also than it will cause problems. i just want to see if anyone else had problems after doing it.

Can anyone explain, or at least post a link to, what this mod is?

It`s where you put a zap strap on the end of you throttle cable to tighten it up, do a search, or check my mod thread for more specifics.

I have a manual tranny, but me and "carsonm" did his.

Later he said that the tranny was not "kicking down"
which (for the people that don`t know) means when you step on the pedal hard, it will downshift for you for passing, showing off, etc.

The kickdown is controlled by another cable at your pedal. We put another strap on that one and as far as I know, the tranny is working as well as it used to.
I figure if you do one, you have to do the other.

(not to mention, I don`t think the mod makes any noticable difference anyway)

sometime you throttle cable has slack in it so you dont get full throttle. do a search on throttle cable mod and you will find all the info. even if you do get full throttle it just feels better to take the slack out to some people. if you have anymore questions after that post here again and we will answer them.

Yeah, it gets rid of the gap in your pedal movement too, so it makes it seem more responsive.

It is nearly impossible to say that the kickdown cable has to, or doesn't have to, be adjusted. Every vehicle will be different. For the most part, the throttle cable "mod" is really just a throttle cable "adjustment". All cables (and their tubing) will stretch over time. How much they will stretch will depend on many factors. If your throttle cable has stretched a lot over time, yet your kickdown cable hasn't, then doing the throttle cable "mod" may just be bringing your rig close to how it came from the factory, in which case, no adjustment would be needed to the kickdown cable. At the same time, the opposite situation could be true, whereas the kickdown cable has strecthed a lot and the throttle cable hasn't............who knows.

Depending on if, and how much, your throttle cable has stretched will determine how beneficial the "mod" is to you. From that point, you have to determine if your kickdown cable needs adjustment (ie: your rig no longer downshifts).

It all varies from vehicle to vehicle..............

robb thats the best answer ive heard. thats makes so much sense. you convinced me to do it again. ill just keep an eye on the downshifts. thanks

After I did the TC mod, I put roughly 55,000 miles on my Ex before the tranny went.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ah, thanks for the info. I've actually done this mod already on a friends mustang, so I know just what you're talking about. I'll have to give it a shot on my truck now.

Back