How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? | Page 36 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX?

Post number 869 has been selected as best answered.

I'm closing in 344K now. Have to put an exhaust on it this weekend, the Gibson I installed 4 years ago can't be patched up anymore...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

179k, 184k, 189k, 215k, 217k, 265k respectively. All still going strong but the list of minor repairs is never ending (gives me something to do... LOL).

212k. But last year with 155k. A couple minor things. Atl and a belt tensioner. Just added dual exhaust and new tires along with all led lights. Buffed the paint out as well. I love the truck. I'd buy another 2nd gen tomorrow.

Just picked up a '98 XLT 5L AWD. No rust (this is huge for canada and being 18 years old) and 135k KM (84k miles?). Needs rear brakes and a passenger side manifold.

Just turned 367k...original bottom end, head gaskets done once, on her third transmission.

Has not hit 75,000 yet on '98 EB 4x4 4.0 SOHC.
:D

Just turned 367k...original bottom end, head gaskets done once, on her third transmission.

Wow! Which engine do you have? Did you have the valves redone when you did the head gaskets?

Im up to 171,x.. on my Explorer. Factory engine and trans still.

218,6XX. 1998 XLT 5.0 AWD.

No major engine work done, no trans work other than flush.

OBX exhaust headers are the only big mod. Replaced all shock absorbers recently, some wouldn't even expand(if compressed by hand) after I took them out.

Truck was in an accident(before my ownership) where it rear ended and totaled a Camry, this bent the front bumper and cause the rear main seal to leak coolant pretty bad. Some of that goop in the little blue bottle actually slowed the leak majorly by at least 80%.

Snake oil or not, I haven't needed to add coolant for months now.

Wow! Which engine do you have? Did you have the valves redone when you did the head gaskets?

If its is his 95 its the OHV. There is one here that is over 500K, original everything. Owner took great care, coolant changes, etc.
Manual trans though. OHVs weakness at very high miles is the lower intake gasket, more rare head gaskets, and sometimes the head, it can crack, but it is a relatively minor repair that can be done in a day. Everything else on that engine may outlast the driver!

If its is his 95 its the OHV. There is one here that is over 500K, original everything. Owner took great care, coolant changes, etc.
Manual trans though. OHVs weakness at very high miles is the lower intake gasket, more rare head gaskets, and sometimes the head, it can crack, but it is a relatively minor repair that can be done in a day. Everything else on that engine may outlast the driver!

My '94 had 337K on it when I traded it in. I screwed up installing the filter during an oil change at 140k and it leaked out all the oil. That screwed up the bearings. I went ahead and put new rings on it then and had the valves done while it was apart. That's the only thing I ever did to the engine. When I traded it in in 2009 I thought it would go straight to the junk yard. I saw it driving down the road 5 years later so it was still going as of then.

'03 Sport XLT with 306xxx miles. Runs strong. Was a fleet vehicle before me and for the most part was taken care of. Bought the car b/c i needed something and didn't want another car payment while i'm paying off a 2012 Terrain. It runs great though.

My 2000 Explorer has 189,000 miles.

1995 Exp Sport just turned 176,000. One owner.

We just drove from LA to Denver over the Rockies on I-70 and the Explorer performed a treat in the snow despite being only 2WD. Original engine and transmission, just replaced clutch for second time. Hoping for another 21 years...

MY 2000 5.0 has 189000

1999 Mountaineer 5.0
222,000 miles
(original engine and transmission)

Our 98' Limited is at 199k and still running like a top. Uses a quart of oil every 3500 miles, not too bad IMO. Replacing lower ball joints and upper control arms tomorrow, GF hit a nasty pothole a couple weeks back and the DS upper ball joint developed a small amount of play.

Over 700k miles between our 3 Fords. Love the blue oval, they treat me well.

Less than 150 mile till I hit 200,000 on my 2001 Mounty.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

99 V8 2WD 4R70W Moutaineer

Just Shy of 211,000
Motor runs good. Transmission torque converter is the only major thing with issues. It's the TC lockup shudder. Also main seal leak. Less then half a quart per 3000 miles.

Back