How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny???? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles on your 3RD GEN! orig. tranny????

02XLS

Reaction score
City, State
The 51st state South Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLS
Wanna hear how many miles you guys have on your original transmission on your '02 or newer, currently and before it EXPLODED!!
I really love my '02 XLS but its got 59K and some of you have stated that around 60K she's gonna blow. If thats the case I'd rather unload her now for a newer car for my wife. So let the replies begin!!!!

:salute: :usa:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

WOW!!!...over 30 people viewed this thread and no replies....I assume your on this site because you have an '02/newer exploder...Hmmmmm

I don't log on very often, but will chime in.

My 2002 4.6 V8 AWD LTD purchased new 5/02 has 86K and the tranny is fine to date. Even w/o a fluid flush/change. Very rarely tows, but goes up and down mountains, and carries heavy loads. Usually just a commuter, though.

My .02: 100% of the trannies will not explode @ 60K.

Thanks fellas...anyone else????

My 2002 has 85K miles...no problems. I pull a horse trailer with two 1200 lbs horses in the trailer.

02 XLT 4.6L V8 5R55W

59K Miles Got the OD light of doom. ESP paid for a new Band and new servos.

Currrently have 73K just replaced the Solenoid Pack and filter.

I had the tranny solenoids replaced on my '03 at about 75,000 miles. Currently have about 95,000.

88,000 on my '04 5R55S and no problems. Changed filter and fluid about a month ago for the first time, and it wasn't that bad looking in there.

I don't like the way these trannies shift, but it seems to work fine, so I guess I can't complain.

Hopefully you didn't get injured when your transmission EXPLODED! What happened, did someone put some C4 in the pan one night when you were asleep?:rolleyes:

Drive it till it goes bad, then find a nice low-mileage used one from a reputable salvage yard with a warranty, install it, and move on with life. www.car-part.com is a great search site for used parts in your area.

2002 XLT with 113,600 + miles. I got it back in January '04 and haven't had any problems with the transmission.

Steve

My 2002 has a little over 113k on it and I have had no transmission problems. I did have it serviced at around 100k. The dealer put in a new filter and changed the fluid for me. It shifts a little better afterwards than before.

103K in my 2002 XLT 4x4 and the tranny works just fine. At 90k the dealer changes the filter and fluid.
Hope you get a least 100K with no troubles in your tranny. I figured that "proper maintenance" is the key.
Happy rides
Andy:salute:

04 XLT 4.6L auto 4x4 5R55W

The original tranny HAD about 65K when it went south. It started with some slipping, then the OD light would flash, and finally, I had to replace it.:thumbdwn:

Dealer cost: $4K for new from Ford:censored:

Cost at "Mikes Tranny installs": 14 hours, $1300 for the used (23K miles) tranny from an 04 Mountie, and about $100 for the Auto Hobby Shop on base to use a lift for 2 days.

The swap wasn't too bad as long as you have the right tools and the use of a lift was priceless.

Mike:salute:

I have an '03 X XLS Sport with 81,000 miles on the tranny. Hasnt been flushed or had fluid replacement, still works like a dream...

2004 bought as a holdover in 05. I have had it in to the dealer twice before for reving at low speed then jamming into gear and jerking. It will roll backwards almost indefinetly on a grade when in gear. I was told that there were no codes, they cant replicate the problem with a test dirve, and they updated the computer. So wifey pulls out the other day and gets the od light of death and crazy shifting. 35,940 miles, still under warranty. I am done with Ford.

02 XLT 4.0L auto 4x4 5R55W

Have 120,000 miles on it now. Had the solenoid block replaced under warranty at about 87,000 miles because of a delayed shift. Other then that just normaly maintance. It still drives like new.

'02 Mountaineer, 4.0L

My torque converter was replaced under warranty, somewhere around 50K I think. I then developed a leak, apparently there was some sort of burr that caused a seal to tear, and they replaced it again 6 months later. I now have 92K on it, but my wife drives it now due to my commute mileage. AFAIK the tranny is just fine.

I have an 02 XLS 4x4 with aprox 99,000 miles. I bought it in dec. 05 with 56,000 miles. I've had the solenoid pack replaced(warranty). Other than that no problems except if I hit the brakes hard it seems to knock itself out of gear for a second. Then it slams into gear and if you are touching the gas it will bark the tire. It drives me up the wall......but Ford said they can't find anything wrong. The told me to drive it easy and it won't do it...it works too dangit..........Oh well off to beat the HELL out of it...hehehe:eek:

Yankee........Over and Out:salute:

I got to 76k..just replaced the tranny last month

my 2002 explorer xlt 4x4 has a little over 129k miles on the original transmission. I use it in 4x4 often and I drive on hills......but haven't towed anything. It still shifts nice and smooth.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Old '02 had 33k when the dealer rebuilt it. Didn't fail to operate, but when it engaged drive by itself on the dealers lift, they were very happy rebuild it for us.

Back