• Register Today It's free!

How Many Miles to a Tank?

Dan66

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 XLT
I think I may have a problem with the fuel gauge in my "new" '96. I gassed-up immediately after I bought it, but the needle is staying on "F." Fortunately, I thought to set the trip odometer when I filled-up...

Those of you with the 4.0 six: how many miles do you get to a tank? About how far can I go and still have safey a quarter of a tank left? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You should have a 19.3 gallon tank. To be on the safe side, I'd assume 15mpg which equals 290 miles... To be super safe, I'd fill up every 250 miles.

The tank should be 21 gallons actually. You should easily be able to go 300 miles if you have stock size tires and everything. Then when you fill up pay attention to how many gallons you put in. Then you can figure how much farther you could have gone on the tank.

I have a 2000 Eddie Bauer V6 and I get 390 - 410 miles on a tank of gas with 90% highway driving.

I get about 370- 390 on my 96 before the check gage light comes on. Same here, 90% highway.

yep i drove to mackinaw bridge here in mich i live way south in michigan around the tristate area i got 435 miles before i filled up and the other day i got 415 miles to a tank

Thanks guys. Those numbers certainly give me something to work with.

. . . . .. .

lol, try these #'s

I get ~180 miles out of a tank of gas

I get around 280 to 320 mainly city and im all stock just about.

215-240 with 75% highway driving

i'v been getting about 23 mpg out of mine since i drive it to work now. 95% highway with cruise control set to 65 mph. drive about 90 miles round trip.

kinda surprised about it also.

I have a Sport with a 16.5 gal tank and I get about 285 to a tank driving like an idiot.

300 to a tank I wish. I get about 200 miles to a tank

I regularly go 510 miles on a tank with several gallons left. All highway.

aldive said:
I regularly go 510 miles on a tank with several gallons left. All highway.
I hate him. ^ :p But, i get about 350 miles to a tank.

timmac06 said:
300 to a tank I wish. I get about 200 miles to a tank

Thats were Im at too with city or mixed city and highway. I get 300 when mostly highway which comes out to about 15.5 mpg. Im getting my O2 sensors changed out.

I get about 240 out of a tank. That could last more then a month because I only have a 2.5mile commute round trip. I average about 16mpg all in town driving.

w/the lift and all i see about 240 a tank(i will up with about 4-5gallons left)..stock it was ALOT better..but oh well..it looks better then stock now..lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

MAN! I really need to clean my MAF and possibly change my o2's, my mpg is at 12. I got an 01' 4x4 sport and it has a 17.5 gal tank and I get 210miles to every tank. I've cleaned the injectors and changed my plugs so far. Would the MAF be able to have that much effect on my mpg?

edit: Did I mention I've had a K&N drop-in filter since I bought it?

Back