How many miles will an explorer go for? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles will an explorer go for?

bobbyg123

Reaction score
City, State
Duvall, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 EB
We've all heard about the dreaded reliability reports concerning the Explorer. Transmission problems, electrical malfunctions, and even safety related problems have hurt the Explorers reputation in the National media. With that said, it's still the #1 selling SUV for 15 consecutive years which helps to explain some of those reports.

My wife and I have twins on the way (due in March) and I'm looking to purchase an SUV sometime this summer. I'm an outside salesman and I put 20K miles/year on my vehicles. Since my company pays for gas & mileage, I will keep the Explorer for the first 3 years of its life before passing it on to my wife. Finally, I get to my question. How many miles can we expect to get out of the Explorer before it becomes too costly to keep on the road? Say what you want about Japanese vehicles, but when you purchase a Honda or Toyota you know you're good for 200K worry free miles. Will we be able to get 200K miles out of a Ford engine? I'm prepared to put "some" money into it, and I would prefer to purchase an American vehicle, but I don't want something where the engine falls out after 100K miles.

I guess I'm looking for some Ford success stories. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey... I just signed up on this site... I'm looking for some information on replacing a DPFE sensor... Not that it pertains to your question, but this is my 3rd Explorer. I'm in the limo business and I average 80K miles a year... My 1st one, I got rid of when it had 163,000 miles on it... the 2nd one I got rid of with 149,000 miles on it... Amazing enough, I think alot of the misconception about American vehicles is the media. A vast majority of the people don't TAKE CARE OF their vehicles... I chance the oil and filter every 3,000 miles, I flush the trani and filter every 25,000 miles... I take care of my vehicles... They take care of me... I love my Explorer, it rides great, gets pretty good fuel economy, 16 city 21 highway, drivin normally, great 4x4 system and all the toys... some say more to break, I say, more to enjoy when you do the miles I do...

Treat it right, do the prescribed mantainance , wash it wax it, keep it clean, change your fluids, rotate your tires, all the stuff most don't do and you will drive it as long as you want

we have 4 Xs...love them all. my '95 has the most miles..131,600. onlything that kept it off the road was the tranny. otherwise it has been trouble free(we have the full records from new) now its 10 years old and i would drive it anywhere and not worry at all.

there are plenty of people with 200k and many working on 300k+

just over 133,000 miles on mine and still going strong :D

Got a 2002 4x4 xls with 110,000 miles. The only problems i had was wheel bearings, replaced them all at 95,000 miles. Now the 4x4 module is bad and needs replacing.
My x still feels like new no ratles, engine idle smooth, I have no complains, defitnatly will buy a 2007 explorer.

If you want an American vehicle, you will have to look elsewhere. My 2002 has a Made in Germany sticker on the engine. No telling where the rest of it was made. Maybe Canada.

My axle seals stared leaking about 4 months ago. I had them replaced and yesterday I noticed oil all over the driveway. Yep, leaking again. Other than that and a howling rear end, I haven't had any problems with it.

The newer ones are much more reliable than the older ones. I would avoid the '02s though. They seem to have the most problems.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I've heard about the 2002 models being somewhat problematic, and I'm slightly concerned about the 2006 model and "new" 6-sp transmission. Either way, if you look at automobile models historically, they tend to improve every year they're out. The explorer is no different, I'm sure. Honda's used to draw laughter from people back in the late 1970's, similar to today's Hyundai's. Look who's laughing now.

Some of you say the 4x4 transmission's have gone bad as well as the wheel bearings and axle seals. How much did that set you back, and how long were your vehicles in the shop? Last question...I'm not normally a fan of extended warranty's, but with the price slashing/rebates that are available now, I may pick up a 100K mile warranty. Think that's a good idea?

get the warranty if you can....depends on price, and how mechanically inclined you are.

I'm at 130k and going strong. I expect the first thing to go (that isn't caused off-road ) is the tranny - and even that may be stress from off-roading it.

Which engine - the answers are different. The OHV is a rock solid workhorse, but nothing fancy under the hood..... SOHC and v8 have more problems I've heard.....

I'm on Explorer #4….why? Because it's a great family vehicle (I don't like minivans), reliably, safe, and roomy, plus my 4 year old loves it. Here is the run down:

1) 1992 4x4 work truck…off road a lot…150k when I sold it, no engine or trans problems.
2) 1995 lease (wife’s) 4x4 no problems
3) 1997 lease (wife’s) 4x4 no problems
4) 2001 own 60K 4x4 no problems

Just regular maintenance items, tires, brakes, shocks, exhaust.

One thing to keep in mind, when you read the forums here and at Edmunds, people go there to complain, Ford sells upward of 400,000 Explorers a year, for every complaint that you read there are thousands of HAPPY Explorer owners racking up thousands of trouble free miles on their trucks.

I've got 2 Exploder's

1998 Sport V6 OHV - 136K miles, no trouble at all (original clutch and brakes)
2002 Hog V8 4x4 - 80K miles. ONly 1 problem that was mishandled by the dealer, would have been minor. Very happy with both trucks.

College son gonna get the 98. Probably put another 100K on it.

Can't go wrong if you do the routine work. Bookmark this forum, it will help you solve many common problems and saves you a bunch of $$. Nice guys lurk here and will do almost anything to help a fellow X owner.

Randy

my BII has 287K miles on her and is jsut like an explorer is so many ways :)

the possibilities are endless.
Maintenence = longer life.

20k miles/year = 60k...you should be fine. I put the same on mine as well. You should not run into any major issues within 100k as long as routine maintenence is performed you last a long time. My last one ran 130k and did not have a bit of rust or any major mechanical issues

I have 307k on my 1995 Explorer sport. I have had 2 clutches and 1 rearend. The rearend was my fault. It was leaking around the plug and I waited to late to do anything about it. I think it might be time for a tranny(5 speed). But, for me, it's been a great purchase. Prior to my '95, I had a '99 Bronco II. It died with 199,998 miles...because it was totalled. I think you'd be pleased with the reliability.

BigBlueWolf said:
I have 307k on my 1995 Explorer sport. I have had 2 clutches and 1 rearend. The rearend was my fault. It was leaking around the plug and I waited to late to do anything about it. I think it might be time for a tranny(5 speed). But, for me, it's been a great purchase. Prior to my '95, I had a '99 Bronco II. It died with 199,998 miles...because it was totalled. I think you'd be pleased with the reliability.

I hope my 2002 will last to 307K!! Thats the most miles I have ever heard about on an Explorer! I'm happy to know they can last that long if you take care of them!

My '96 explorer has 154k and going strong. orginal engine of course and tranny too. My friend have a ford ranger (same motor as explorer) had 342k on it. orginal engine but 2nd tranny.. caught on fire due to lemon tranny. could have reach 400k easy and ran like 60,000 miles motor. good luck!

my 92 has 155K miles on it, and the last 15K have been put on by me, and alot of them have been much harder than average. Saying that, it's got the original engine and transmission/t-case still running strong. I've even sucked water in thru the intake on the engine twice before I realized my intake hose was defective, and no ill effects on the engine. These things are tough, and I've proven it over and over again with my 92.

My mother has owned a 92, a 95, and now a '00 mountaineer, my sister had a 94 and now I have my 92 and my 02.

They've all been great trucks, with few to no problems
Good luck with your decision

My 1997 has 158,000 miles on it, I bought it with 75,000 on it. I have done pretty basic maintenance on it, my radiator had a leak so I replaced that, the alternator went out around 95,000, I replaced the battery once, have never had to replace the rotors, put new shocks/struts on it, never touched the tranny or engine so far. I do all the suggested scheduled maintenances. Always change oil religiously and all my Fords have always done well into the very high miles as long as I did the basic maintenance. The last time I really had any work done to it was almost 2 years ago, and she runs like a dream. I just keep driving it, because it is paid for and it just keeps running. :D I love it. I will NEVER trade it, just keep it forever. :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drake437 said:
One thing to keep in mind, when you read the forums here and at Edmunds, people go there to complain, Ford sells upward of 400,000 Explorers a year, for every complaint that you read there are thousands of HAPPY Explorer owners racking up thousands of trouble free miles on their trucks.

Yep. People are complainers by nature. They don't post to praise, they post to complain. Or, they post looking for an answer to a problem. Rarely do you see anyone posting solely for the reason of praising a vehicle or to talk about not having ANY problems.

Before I bought my '02 4WD XLT, I was a bit freaked out to read all of the horror stories on these forums, then I thought "How can these vehicles be SO popular if they're ALL like THIS???". Reason: They're NOT all like that! You only hear/read about the bad ones. Consider the thousands of members these forums have versus the MILLIONS of Explorer owners out there. Logic would tell you that *most* people aren't having major problems. If they were, these forums would have even more people on them. ;)

Back