• Register Today It's free!

How many miles???

slow-demon

Reaction score
City, State
Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 xl sport
How many miles have you got on your explorer 4.0L engine? Specify if regular pushrod OHV or SOHC. I just want to know the longetivity of these engines. I personally have 146,000 miles on my 1991 explorer. Only problem I have right now is lifter noise...which goes away after about a mile of driving.. I am deciding if I should replace the lifters only or just replace the whole engine..Also does anyone know where I can get the cheapest set of hydraulic lifters? The FORD OEM lifters are outrageously priced..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1997 Explorer Sport
4.0L OHV

May 1999 = 24,000

September 2000 = 59,000

Running Great!

Right now I am at a little over 309k and still running strong! I have a 91 Eddie Bauer. I haven't had any problems other than belts, hoses,...ect. Hope that helps

1992 w/ 150,000 on it! No major problems, but could have a slight lifter noise starting.

91 XLT with 127K miles and have the same lifter noise until engine gets up to operating temperature. No other major problems with the engine.

1992 XLT with 4.0l OHV--- 205k miles... replaced head gaskettes at 170k..

Rebuild coming soon (have to do it before I do the propane conversion)

Mark

[Edited by Maniak on 09-21-2000 at 08:50 AM]

1993 XLT 152,000 miles with NO NOISES(yet)

91 XLT with 136K and not many problems and the only noise I have is when I put it in gear when it's idling. It ticks. Put it in park and it stops. It's done it for a long time. I basically ignore it. Now I bet someone is going to tell me it's going to self destruct, LOL.

I've got 142,000 miles on my 91EB OHV.
Try http://www.vanirtech.com for the lifters. Cheaper than Ford.
I changed my lifters at 94,000 b/c I couldn't stand the nosie - I think the problem comes from the oil pump not pushing enough oil at very cold temperatures. That's why in January and February this year, I switched to 0w-30 - it helped a bit.

Back