How many miles?? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many miles??

143k on my 98' sport. tranny (say for 4wd-lo getting stuck in 4wd-lo) works fine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my 99 sport has 134500 on it. Has had about 3 sets of ball joints in it, and a rear main seal and thats about it except for the normal servicing. it runs good except for the valve clatter that is common. it is the sohc motor.

298,897 miles on original drive-train. Tranny starting to get a little week but still shifts smooth. Engine still going strong... good compression. Mobil 1 Synthetics throughout since new.

Relaced:
Ball Joints
Fuel Pump
Cam chain tensioners and cassettes
Intake Gaskets (cold start issues)
Tires

That about it.... been a great vehicle

my '98 Sport has 126,000, and my '91 has 155,000, both ohv motors neither leak a drop.
my '84 B2 has 140,000, three years ago when i first got it it only had 80,000.

all great vehicles, i wouldnt own any non FORD vehicle.

I have 288,000 on my 98 XLT 5.0 awd. Replaced the transfer case chain at 160,000 miles. Replaced water pump at 220,000 miles. At the present, it has crapped on me, and I'm pulling my hair out (see "totally stumped" thread) trying to find out what's causing it to not run.

I have 288,000 on my 98 XLT 5.0 awd. Replaced the transfer case chain at 160,000 miles. Replaced water pump at 220,000 miles. At the present, it has crapped on me, and I'm pulling my hair out (see "totally stumped" thread) trying to find out what's causing it to not run.

Check your tailpipe for foreign objects... potatoes... ect

I have 103,x.. on my 2001 Sport and has original everything except tires and brake pads. I did change the serpentine belt a couple weeks ago. Thought it might be time. :) Now, before anyone flames me for being a slacker, I bought this jewel from a lady in the area who put 102,x.. of the 103,x.. on the XSport. I was amazed at what was original. I know that the majority of the miles are interstate miles that she put on the XSport while checking several businesses that she owned. I am just getting into checking it out good, but, so far it looks like she did regular oil/oil filter/airfilter changes (documented), put gas in and drove. No reports of anything breaking. I have known her and her husband for years, so, when they decided to sell this one I jumped on it!

173k on my 97.

i have owned it since 2002 (bought for $9k with a little over 80k on it), and have replaced the following due to breakage:
water pump
radiator and hoses twice
alternator
serp. belt
pulleys
starter
sway bar end-link
and i think the cam position sensor is starting to go, since it is making that screeching noise from under the hood.

Just bought a 96 XLT 4x4... LOADED>..... Has 192,000 miles... Just know needs 1 inner tie rod, and shocks...

2001 Sport 4.0 SOHC 143k, 2nd owner, bought at 32k
Normal maintenance, right now starting to need Ball joints, fixed the stupid pass side vacuum elbow that cracks and sucks flat on all of these engines. otherwise runs great, 3rd sport I've owned. Goal is 250k

I just got a 98 EB with a 5.0. It just turned 125g. Its all original. Since i bought it ive replaced all the idlers, the steering pump and belt. I am swapping out all the hoses and the normal wear items. I have to fix the blend door and just found that the ball joints are shot on the passenger side. That, some new shocks and a weekend with mcguires and bud light, Im ready to hit it. OH and as ive said I LOVE THIS RIG.

I have a 96' XLT 4.0 with 141,000k.

Got it last year with 112,xxxk. Runs great, Change oil every 2,500k.

I have 209,888 on my 91 Ranger 2wd 3.0 V6 5spd, I've owned it since 2002, bought with 107,000 has been a daily driver since. Nothing major, just normal repairs, nothing rebuilt.
The 96 Explorer has an estimated 167,000, bought in 2008 with 147,000 odometer quit shortly after. again nothing major, just normal stuff. 4.0 V6 4wd 5spd.
Both have had clutches done once.
The 97 Explorer I don't know the entire history of, but from what I know I'm only the 2nd real owner, no indication of rebuilds or anything. It just rolled over 210,000 seems to be doing just fine. If I could only figure out that blasted fuse that keeps blowing.
It's a 4.0 V6 5r55e auto 4wd
I love all these cars dearly, my family and I have been long time Ford owners and I've never been disappointed. I've now owned 3 explorers and 2 rangers. I love the platform, can't get enough, keep coming back for more. And thank my lucky stars I don't own a Toyota ;).

1999 Sport with 151k when I bought it...

So far no engine or tranny rebuilds but I am about to replace the tranny vb for some shifting issues...

And I have found a externally leaking head gasket so the heads will be coming off and new ones going on soon...

This vehicle has had 1 previous owner and they apparently knew nothing about what maintenance meant...This vehicle had so much sludge in the pan the oil pump was dead...But the body was straight and clean so I didn't much care about the drivetrain since it was a $200 vehicle and a prime candidate for a V8 transplant...

But I started playing with the original engine and found that it was not as dead as I had been led to believe...Besides the oil pump and fuel pump thanks to old fuel in the tank for almost 3 years, this vehicle needed suspension parts, brake parts replaced, and routine maintenance...

This thing still had the original oil filter on it!!! There were markings from the factory assembly line on the filter done in grease pencil when I pulled it off..The coolant hoses were original as well...

But after 16k in the last year, I use this vehicle as a truck and work vehicle and it has not failed me yet...Just catching up on doing maintenance the las owner didn't do...And the V6 is as usual Ford tough so the V8 sits on my engine stand waiting for another body for me to drop it into...

192,x.. miles on my ,97 5.0 AWD.Runs perfect,does'nt use oil,exhaust manifolds a little noisy on a cold start,new torque converter and used low mileage transfer case put in last year.I would not hesitate to hop in this truck right now and head cross country.

Back