How many of you kept the radiator scoop? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many of you kept the radiator scoop?

Glen4X4

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Lewistown, Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLS
I removed my valance off my bumper and now you can see the scoop type thing that attaches to the radiator. I can see the importance if it had the valance but now without it I don't know if its necessary to have if it will get enough air to the radiator without it. Here is a picture of it.

Attachments

• radiator thing.jpeg
    radiator thing.jpeg
    33.9 KB · Views: 580

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i say take it off carefully so you don't break it, if your motor starts to overheat afterwards, just put it back on

i say take it off carefully so you don't break it, if your motor starts to overheat afterwards, just put it back on

I'd rather not experiment with the truck when it comes to cooling the motor...I wanted to see if anyone had experience with removing before I did it myself.

Alright good enough answer....thanks :)

Yea, mine has been off for 5 years. Non-issue.

Alright good to hear...guess I'll go tear it off since the little one fell asleep And maybe finish the tt/shackles

mine is also gone like the wind and have had no problems.

Mine is sitting at the bottom of a landfill somewhere :p:

I took it off the same day I posted this and got answers :) I experience no issues.

I pulled mine off about 3 years ago and haven't had any cooling issues yet

27367648.jpg

and I have a skidplate blocking the bottom portion of the radiator

that thing is just junk...when your going 40+ mph there is plenty of air rushing past your radiator

Pulled mine off - Explorer immediately overheated, even with the engine off :p:

I guess it could help some if your sitting in traffic on 395 and there is a gust of wind...still a piece of crap though

Do you guys think the scoop helps any to protect the radiator support from rusting? Mine is in very bad shape; I have a replacement radiator support that I intend to put in, just curious if putting this deflector back on would add or detract from the support's longevity. The part number for this is
F4TZ8327A; for sale on eBay for $50 FWIW http://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-OEM-RADI...xplorer|Year:1994&hash=item3388e28a6e&vxp=mtr

That's good to know, I just took my valance off aswell and was debating on taking it off or not.

Back