How many people own or have owned an Aerostar? | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How many people own or have owned an Aerostar?

I have 2 '93 Aerostars. One has the 4.0 liter motor with electronic 4X4 and the other is 2WD and has the 3.0 liter motor. Both are parked at my In-Laws - The 4.0 has not been drove for 5 years - Was parked due to needing a steering rack replacement. That is when I started driving the one that has the 3.0 engine. That one has not been drove for about 2 years and was parked due to a blown head gasket. If anyone needs I am willing to part these vans out. The bodies have alot of rust along the sides at the bottom and the interiors are not that great due to them being used for work. I put qiute a few new parts into these when I was driving them. Both still have all the glass in them. If anyone wants parts from these send me a p.m.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is another one with a bad steering rack.

Here is another one with a bad steering rack.

I replaced the steering rack on the one that has the 3.0 engine.
It was alot easier being that it bolted to the front cross member instead of being inside it like on the 4WD model.

love them...

between the recent ex husband and myself we have purchased 4. The one I;m driving now I have had for almost 9 years and I love it. She's pretty and has been good to me. I bought her on an auction lot before auction for $3000 and have definitely got my moneys worth out of it.:)

93 XLT iwth 4.o engine. Bought her new.............147,000 on it now.
Just pulled her out of storage and got runninmg again.problem with AC and I just took my time to get her back.

The storage was not that nice to the interior head liner and I will need to replace that before long

We currently own three: a '91 short body, and '94 and '97 Extended. All three are 4WD 4.0 L, and all have 120K+ miles. The '91 is most fun to drive.

I had a 93 Aerostar with 283k on it and had to junk it because rust was eating it up. I now have a 97 with 70k on it.

I have owned two of them and still have one. I once owned a 1990 with a 3.0, but now have a 93 XLT 4X4 with the 4.0.
set

I have owned two of them and still have one. I once owned a 1990 with a 3.0, but now have a 93 XLT 4X4 with the 4.0.
set
How can I get my photo to show up? New here.

:aerostar:I'm driving a 1994 Aerostar with a 3.0L V-6. It's my daily driver. With over 150,000mi, I'm trying to make it last as long as I can.

:aerostar:I'm driving a 1994 Aerostar with a 3.0L V-6. It's my daily driver. With over 150,000mi, I'm trying to make it last as long as I can.

I'm driving a 96 3.0L with 278,000+. She still runs strong.:D

93 XLT 4-Wheel Drive

I have owned 2 of them and still have one. One was a red 1990 with a 3.0 and the other I still have is a 1993 XLT extended 4-wheel drive. It's white with dark blue around the bottom. It has the 4.0, and every option except the tow package. It now has 125,000 miles on it and it only had 2600 on it when I bought it. The dealership told me I'm the first and only owner because it was used by 4 Japanese guys who took it on a road trip to evaluate the 4-wheel drive system and take notes. They couldn't sell it as a "new" vehicle and sold it to me as a "promotional" vehicle. I've learned that there are 3 recalls on it and every one of them has been fixed. They are; front brake rotors may be aftermarket parts and may warp or crack,,,the ignition switch may cause a fire,,,and the rear seal of the transfer case will blow out at high speeds. The last one I found out by experience. Today, it is in need of the sliding side door handle, exhaust from the cat back and brake lines due to rust. Where I now live, I hardly ever see an Aerostar at all and mine is still in very good condition so it gets lots of looks everywhere I go. Most of the miles on it have been from taking trips between Denver and central IL over the years. It has been a great vehicle.

Hey, new guy around here.

I've owned one Aerostar 93 AWD for a few years now. My very first vehicle too. Now rocking in the 200K miles and being in hold now (transmission and transfer rebuilt) in repair, i hope everything goes Ok so i can put another 200K.

i still own my aerostar. it has 171,000ks and in really great shape except for a tiny rust spot near the back wheelwell.

I'm on my Third Aerostar; My first was a brand new one in 1986 which lasted until 1999 when my girl wrecked it. I traded it for a used 1992 which I sold March this year because I wanted the Extended 4.0.

I found an intact 1997 (with undamaged rocker panels) with original paint & interior. The interior needs TLC but I went to a salvage yard and pulled everything I needed to make it like new. It also has driveability issues (Check Engine light and RABS light are ON and the A/C is not cooling). Other than that I am impressed at the power of the 4.0 and the 5-speed transmission, and whatever the problems are, I'll get them fixed.

I have had two aerostars. The first one was a 1991 3.0 litre Eddie Bauer ,I drove it for 331,000 miles with normal maintence.It was super reliable it still had the original un touched engine that ran great when I junked it last year due to body rust.The trans was rebuilt at 200,000 but the van still had its original water pump and alternator.I make it a habit of replacing the alternator brushes every 100,000 miles .The brushes are available at napa for under $5.00.the coolant was changed every other year to protect all the aluminum components in the engine and radiator core.I would have driven it to a half million if the road salt didn,t kill the body.I bought a second rust free 1991 aerostar from arizona to replace the first one.Its another Eddie Bauer .This one is a 4.0 litre version .It now has 213,000 miles and I just completed the trans overhaul yesterday. With regular maintence I will drive this one for years. Bob

I just bought my 4th Aerostar. The first Aerostar was bought new in 1994, and driven to well in excess of 200,000 miles. We had a few problems with it, but a good share of that was related to my wife spinning through a S curve and crinkling the side up on a snowbank (at about 100,000 miles). The body was repaired, but the snap fitting for the rear heat popped apart and drained the coolant out, twice, eventually causing a warped head. Removed the heads and shaved them, reassembled it and drove it for 140,000 or so more miles. Had some half-shaft problems and the front diff went out at 225,000 miles (fluid leak).

Aerostar #2 was another 1994 AWD. Purchased with 113,000 miles and driven a couple of years. Wife hit a deer and screwed up the electronics. I had to move so sold both at auction for not too much money. Wished I'd have kept them, but it wasn't possible at the time.

Aerostar #3 was another '94 AWD, purchased for $1000 with 124,000 miles or so. Good van, but had some sensor and tranny problems. Had to do the head shave bit again when It froze up and overheated, one of the problems you have when you repair a heater hose and forget to bring the antifreeze up to specs. Now has 196,000, lost a cylinder and is waiting for the resident mechanic to have time to repair.

Aerostar #4 is a 1997 AWD that I bought knowing it has a tranny problem. I'm rebuilding the 5 speed, and hopefully this will be as good as the others.

just my opinion, but you win the "Most Aerostar Owned And Destroyed By Wife" Medal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ok, she wins the Silver Medal :D

Back