• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

How many psi should the fuel pump give?

Axelshei

Reaction score
City, State
Oslo, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC
My 1999 Explorer runs rough at idle when could. The mechanic that looked at the problem thought the fuel pump was the problem. He tested the pump and it only gave around 13-15 psi when running at idle, and he ment it was supposed to give around 30psi. He changed the pump, and it did not help at all.
Does anyone know if the pump maybe is supposed to give just 15 psi at idle? And maybe increase the pressure when higher rpm?

PS: It is the SOHC 4.0 engine.

I hope someone can help me :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

1998Exp

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
Looks like your mechanic is a bit off with his numbers. If he tested the pressure at the Schrader valve (the usual test point), that pressure is regulated AGAINST the manifold negative pressure. In other words, you have to add the manifold vacuum reading to the measured pressure. At idle you have around 20 in Hg (or around 9psi) of vacuum in your manifold, for a total of around 24. This is still low vs. the normal 35, but not the same as 15. You can confirm by rapidly opening the throttle, which drops the manifold vacuum to almost zero. You may have a bad regulator, or possibly a clogged fuel filter causing the insufficient pressure. His gauge may also be inaccurate.. However, if the problem goes away when the engine warms up, the most likely culprit of poor idling is the classic 4.0 SOHC problem with leaky intake manifold gaskets. Is the Check Engine light on? If so, has your mechanic read the trouble codes?

My 1999 Explorer runs rough at idle when could. The mechanic that looked at the problem thought the fuel pump was the problem. He tested the pump and it only gave around 13-15 psi when running at idle, and he ment it was supposed to give around 30psi. He changed the pump, and it did not help at all.
Does anyone know if the pump maybe is supposed to give just 15 psi at idle? And maybe increase the pressure when higher rpm?

PS: It is the SOHC 4.0 engine.

I hope someone can help me :)

Last edited:

J_Train

Reaction score
City, State
Citrus Springs, Florida and LaGrange, Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 xlt v8
Yup what he said we see them here at the dealership a lot.

Axelshei

Reaction score
City, State
Oslo, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
Looks like your mechanic is a bit off with his numbers. If he tested the pressure at the Schrader valve (the usual test point), that pressure is regulated AGAINST the manifold negative pressure. In other words, you have to add the manifold vacuum reading to the measured pressure. At idle you have around 20 in Hg (or around 9psi) of vacuum in your manifold, for a total of around 24. This is still low vs. the normal 35, but not the same as 15. You can confirm by rapidly opening the throttle, which drops the manifold vacuum to almost zero. You may have a bad regulator, or possibly a clogged fuel filter causing the insufficient pressure. His gauge may also be inaccurate.. However, if the problem goes away when the engine warms up, the most likely culprit of poor idling is the classic 4.0 SOHC problem with leaky intake manifold gaskets. Is the Check Engine light on? If so, has your mechanic read the trouble codes?
Thank you for your reply! Yes, the Check Engine light in on all the time, and I have checked the oil level. I actually don't know if the mechanic has read the trouble codes. But it sounds like I have to talk to him tomorrow.
Do you think the IAC (idle air controller) can be the problem?

1998Exp

Reaction score
City, State
Seattle WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited V8 AWD
Any one of a about 100 different things can be the problem. That's why these computer-controlled cars have trouble codes. These codes, in addition to some knowledge and other people's experience lead you to the most probable diagnosis. A basic scanner is so cheap (at least here in the US) that it definitely makes no sense, even for the do-it-yourself mechanic to do anything before reading the codes. Your 4.0 SOHC is known to have failing intake manifold gaskets. If you get 'lean' codes, that's most likely because of vacuum leaks there. Good Luck!

Thank you for your reply! Yes, the Check Engine light in on all the time, and I have checked the oil level. I actually don't know if the mechanic has read the trouble codes. But it sounds like I have to talk to him tomorrow.
Do you think the IAC (idle air controller) can be the problem?

Axelshei

Reaction score
City, State
Oslo, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
Any one of a about 100 different things can be the problem. That's why these computer-controlled cars have trouble codes. These codes, in addition to some knowledge and other people's experience lead you to the most probable diagnosis. A basic scanner is so cheap (at least here in the US) that it definitely makes no sense, even for the do-it-yourself mechanic to do anything before reading the codes. Your 4.0 SOHC is known to have failing intake manifold gaskets. If you get 'lean' codes, that's most likely because of vacuum leaks there. Good Luck!
I have been to the workshop today and read the trouble codes. The trouble code was P0174. I do not know exactly what it means, but I think it has something to do with vacuum or air control.
Any ideas? :)

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
I have been to the workshop today and read the trouble codes. The trouble code was P0174. I do not know exactly what it means, but I think it has something to do with vacuum or air control.
Any ideas? :)
if your mechanic read the codes and didn't tell you what they indicated, you need to find another mechanic. P0174 is a "lean condition" code. on the 4.0 SOHC motor this is usually caused by leaking intake manifold gaskets/o-rings or other vacuum leaks. a qualified mechanic wouldn't need you to tell him how to repair your vehicle.

Axelshei

Reaction score
City, State
Oslo, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
if your mechanic read the codes and didn't tell you what they indicated, you need to find another mechanic. P0174 is a "lean condition" code. on the 4.0 SOHC motor this is usually caused by leaking intake manifold gaskets/o-rings or other vacuum leaks. a qualified mechanic wouldn't need you to tell him how to repair your vehicle.
You have a good point there. However, it definitely looks to me like it is the Intake manifold gaskets which is causing the problem. The bad idling is almost gone when the engine is warm, and the idling is totally useless when cold.

koda2000

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
x
You have a good point there. However, it definitely looks to me like it is the Intake manifold gaskets which is causing the problem. The bad idling is almost gone when the engine is warm, and the idling is totally useless when cold.
i agree that it's probably the intake o-ring/gaskets. once the engine gets hot they tend to swell a bit and that lessens or stops the air leak.

deweyville65

Reaction score
City, State
Dewey,Az
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EXPLORER XLT
try spraying starting fluid around the suspected bad gasket area. If there is a leak, the engine will smooth out for a few seconds. Did this on my daughters 05 Taurus, found the leak in just a few seconds. End of guesswork

Axelshei

Reaction score
City, State
Oslo, Norway
Year, Model & Trim Level
try spraying starting fluid around the suspected bad gasket area. If there is a leak, the engine will smooth out for a few seconds. Did this on my daughters 05 Taurus, found the leak in just a few seconds. End of guesswork
I tried this, and guess what - the engined smoothed out just like you said :) So the intake manifold gasket was the problem.

Thank you all for great help :)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B O2 Sensors - How many? Where? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
koda2000 How many tools does it take to add oil to the rear diff? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 30
A Which tire ? How many to change ? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 10
S How many o rings for a power steering pump? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
E new to me 1996 explorer from grandma ignition issues , many parts changed Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 112
E Too many misfires, and that's just the begining of my tale of woe Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 15
B HOW MANY TURNS OF THE TIE ROD? -0.32 Degrees Total Toe Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
Z How many U Joints do I have? Part numbers? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 2
koda2000 How many tools does it take? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 20
C Help! Probably an easy one > How many O2 Sensors? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 5
J Tires oversize, too many changes in MPG and speedmeter? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 6
A Many ABS Codes Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
S How many miles without having to rebuild engine, tranny, transfer ca Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 10
P How many Gen IIs do you see a day? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 24
T How many miles has your Timing Chain Rattled Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 25
C How many catalytic converters? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 9
G how many rpms at a stop light Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
L Curious to know how many people do this... Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 21
S How many miles on your 5.0? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 15
I many issues Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
E Am I asking too many questions? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 6
A How many miles with the rattle? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 13
T Hey guys how many miles are you getting on a full tank? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 37
M Bank 1 Sensor 1 on SOHC 00 Eddie Bauer is it Driver or passenger?! Did many searches Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 5
C How many miles do you have Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 66
C How many Horns? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 9
J how many quarts of oil for a differential fluid change Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
M How many miles do you all have? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 26
L '99 EX Inst Panel - How many bulbs? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 14
S How many shades of Red in 1998...Explorer & Mounty Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
J How many more quarts of ATF do I need to add?!?! Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 17
S How many 194 bulbs are on a 95 explorer dash? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 6
C A great many questions about replacing brake system Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 5
G Many Thanks for hub replacement advice Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
B So many issues - just one post :) Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
J How many 2nd gen V8 AWDs were built? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 8
soon2bsick how many o2 sensors? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 9
D Heat and AC fine, air coming out to many vents. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 4
4 how many #'s are my injectors? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
J How many quarts of ATF fluid? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 1
Z QUestion about Longevity of the SOHC motor and Explorers in general..how many miles Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 20
Dennis1188 How I replaced my power steering pump-many photos. Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 24
Dennis1188 Total Color Change-Interior and Exterior-Many Photos Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 44
D How many cans of 134A it takes? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
S (many problems) speedometer, o/d light, fuel pump relay/ignition switch Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
J How many quarts? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3
cjryan How many miles? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 74
U How many vin codes for the 5 liter second gen X Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 0
M How many miles on your 2ND GEN EX? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 872
F How many 02 Sensors in 2000 XLS? Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers 3