how many quarts of oil for a differential fluid change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how many quarts of oil for a differential fluid change

jab2007

Reaction score
City, State
Rio Grande City,Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
how many quarts of gear oil would can you put in a differential in a 1997 5.0 ? I put 3 quarts of royal purple 75w140 and its working fine im just wondering if its more or less. Also I dont think i need additive because it is not a LSD, besides I think royal purple say that you dont need additive, because their oil has some included.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I run RP in all my SVTs and I still put the additive.

And when you fill the diffs just fill until the fluid runs out the fill hole.

Awsome ill buy the additive and put some in their. That is what I was thinking, but I wanted to make sure for peace of mind. Thanks

Don't waste your money on the additive if you don't have a limited-slip differential. It will be of no benefit to you. The rear diff of your Explorer calls for 2.9 quarts. The front diff calls for 1.9 quarts. I just regeared and crammed 3 quarts in the rear and 2 quarts in the front. You'll be just fine.

don't waste your money on the additive if you don't have a limited-slip differential. It will be of no benefit to you. The rear diff of your explorer calls for 2.9 quarts. The front diff calls for 1.9 quarts. I just regeared and crammed 3 quarts in the rear and 2 quarts in the front. You'll be just fine.
+1

Back