how much are all y'all payin for axle swaps? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how much are all y'all payin for axle swaps?

Just curious on some general prices people have been paying. Theres someone here in town selling the axle out of a 71 bronco with gears and everything else from hub to hub for $300... plus of course the labor of fabrication, new gears (its got 4.10's, I need 4.56's), etc.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not telling.

Hint - it would be about $2.5k with 4.88 gears (front and rear), arb for the d44, rims, all new rotors, pads, calipers, bearings, cut down axles, new axle u-joints, new rear axles (5x5.5 pattern)

Add another $500 for the rear disk conversion (oh, I can't wait for that!)

As for the labor for the installation.. Why pay someone for something that is soo easy to do? :)

Ok, so I'm paying to have some metal work done (cut the tube), and setup the gears.

That price sounds about right. Just be forwarned...the 71 isn't the top choice. You'll end up with drum breaks. If you want disks add a few more hundred for a kit. After looking at Tdavis pics I also see where the stock bronco radius arms are also nice to have. They're longer than the superlift kit, and I'd guess stronger too. You'll make up for some though in gear changes. You'll get charged less for the change in the 44 than the dana 35. Less work by far. :) I've been looking around if I do decide to got this route after I pay mine off and I'm looking at around 4000 to do it right. That's from stock to big dawg. :) Good luck

This is in Can $$

79 Bronco HP RC Dana44 w/ steering, panhard rod, radius arms, mounts - $450
Cut axle and housing - $250
Re and re axles - fab panhard rod mount, modify coil towers, cut down steering, etc- $1200

Then add a full axle rebuilt, gearing at both ends, LS rebuilt, custom rear axles, JD EB coils, new rims.

My total was about $5250. Gearing and LS rebuild would be almost $2000. I sold my TTB to a Bronco II owner, sold the rims, sold the Superlift kit, sold the 3.73 gears and recouped almost $1500. My old TTB needed new ball joints, brakes, and ujoints - subtract $400.

So I rationalize that my swap actually cost me - $1350

That price is in and out the door, no labor on my part.

Cheers
Dale

sounds cool... I don't think I'm going to do it for now, since I'm considering selling the explorer before too long (gotta get a house, settle down, and live the american standard life on a budget, which constant replacement parts do not allow for unfortunately).

Gee wiz Matt what are you saying by that?! :) Naw I know what your saying. Its silly to keep spending the same dollar on the same part that breaks all the time right? :)

Ryan... agreed :).

i thought

I thought that the 71 model would be a D30 you can check and see though, if it has a castle nut on the top of the nuckle then its a D44 and if i think it has like 4 bolts then its a D30 and it aint worth didly! im looking at a 74 drum brake D44 for 200 bux and you can swap the stuff out with other parts and not use that high price kit!
chevy spindles, backing plate, calipers and caliper mounts. and Ford rotors and hubs from a 78-79 4x4 will work on the spindles.

Back