• Register Today It's free!

How much can my truck pull?

MillerAPF97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Branson, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
'Kay, here's the deal. I have a 1997 4-door with the 4.0 SOHC and (I think) the 5=speed automatic. I'm planning a trip from Branson, MO to Forney's Creek/Deal's Gap, NC (the Tail of the Dragon), and want to use the Explorer to pull the shortest trailer that will carry my 1992 VW Fox on it. The question, naturally, is will my truck pull this much without grenading, assuming it's sound to begin with? U-Haul's website declines to rent with the Ex as the tow vehicle, due to having to defend lawsuits involving towing with one. It's either the Explorer or the 2008 Jeep Wrangler, or conscript a friend with MORE truck to go along. I would really like to make this happen without having to buy or rent anything but the trailer... Chris:usa::exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The VW fox will be pretty light, try to get an aluminum trailer.

On the flat, you'll be fine but you'll feel it in the hills. Keeping the transmission cool is the main thing. The 5 speed automatic is the 5r55e transmission.

Your Explorer should be rated for 6000lbs towing.

5 speeds, rated for 550lbs of tq (after the torque converter multiplier effect)
the E is the model for that particular transmission. I think there's 4 models..N, E, W with a wider overdrive? and an S for "select shift"

Make sure you lock out the overdrive.

I think that pulling a loaded UHaul trailer with a loaded cargo area contributed to me burning up my 5R55E---but I'm sure the tranny was also on its way out before that.

If the tranny is in good shape (shifts great, no codes, fluid looks/smells good, etc), make sure the aux cooler is up to snuff (or install a good aftermarket one) and give it a go. If the tranny is showing ANY signs of age, I wouldn't chance it with that distance/terrain.

Change the engine and transmission fluid at a minimum. I'd suggest an aux trans cooler as well, and a trans temp gauge. It's pretty easy to drill and tap the stock pan while you're changing the fluid.

Your explorer is a better tow vehicle than the jeep. However u haul won't rent to explorers as you know.

Your explorer is a better tow vehicle than the jeep. However u haul won't rent to explorers as you know.

Even if you don't have Firestone tyres, but they will rent to a Mountaineer.

WOW! Thanks to all for all the advice. Weird how U-Haul will rent to tow behind a Mountie, and not an Ex. Same truck! Go figure. Cool that the truck is rated for 6000 lbs. I know it's due for an oil and filter change; will probably add an auxiliary trans cooler when I change fluid and filter in it, too. This trip is quite a ways in the future, so I have plenty of time to get everything right (with BOTH vehicles!). Does anybody have a recommendation for a good auxiliary transmission cooler, and where best to tie it in? I know and trust Hayden, but are there any others you've had success with? Thanks again, and in advance. - Chris:usa::exp:

Right you are, Robman. 4th VIN character = D = 5001-6000 lbs. GVWR. So now I need to find out what the truck weighs. Think there's a scale I can slide it across just down the road. Also, how can I identify my transmission with certainty? I've tried counting the upshifts, but they've seemed a little indistinct. Is there a tag/plate/stamping somewhere as a tattletale? TIA - Chris:usa::exp:

4.0SOHC has the 5r55e, no other transmission. You need to determine the axle ratio and look in the owners manual for the listed towing capacity. However prior to 2010 or so, trucks weren't using standardized testing for towing capacity. So what the owners manual says is really more of a suggestion based somewhere between; can't come too close to the f150/expedition, needs to outdo the competition, can't be so much it gets us in legal trouble.
GVWR has little to do with towing capacity. If you want to know the GVWR, check the door sticker.
Sorry, I can't offer advice on which cooler. Long as you're taking it easy, and have a temp gauge to monitor the fluid then you shouldn't need anything super big.

I live right near Deals Gap.

You should not use that truck to make the trip, your transmission will either break during the trip or shortly thereafter.

I would be willing to put money on it.

That transmission is both weak and old, not a good combination.

Sorry bro, find a newer / stronger truck.

BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES

you may be able to pull it up the hill, but you ain't gonna like how it won't stop going down the hill.

BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES BRAKES

you may be able to pull it up the hill, but you ain't gonna like how it won't stop going down the hill.

Those Uhaul trailers have surge brakes on them, which may or may not work good going down the mountain.

If the fox is street legal you might think about towing it to Athens and parking the truck and trailer somewhere and driving the Fox up and down the mountain.

At least the trip from Branson to Athens is mostly flat. I would still keep it out of OD and even with that I wouldn't trust that transmission very much.

Dang! Why is it always something? Thinking back, when I moved to Branson, my '94 F-150 wasn't very happy with an 8' u-haul box trailer behind it. - hated the "up the mountains" part. Hmm. My wife's sister's husband has a late 90's Chevy 4wd pickup he's done with...

Back