• Register Today It's free!

how much for a tranny flush

barnieman

Reaction score
City, State
Den Haag, The Netherlands
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My OD-light sometimes blinks. It starts to blink when I drive the explorer a bit harder then I normally would do. Also, it happens that I loose power in some way, and than I release the gas and step on the gas again: the tranny shifts into some other gear and I have power again. So I am thinking about a tranny flush. I called the garage, and they say that it costs 320 Euro (about 275 US$). Is that a normal price? They said it takes about one-and-a-half hour to do it.

go and have the tranny inspected... if you do a tranny flush on a vehicle already having tranny problems, it can and does make the tranny fail a lot sooner then not having it done if it wasnt properly inspected

A flush wouldn't do much for you. That is about twice what people pay here for it. Curious if Mercon V is hard to get there. Vehicles with the V6 had the 5R55E transmission. These have a history of some of the valve body bolts getting loose and blowing out the gasket between passages. One of the symptoms is OD problems, others are low engine braking and reverse. My 97 had loose bolts and I bought a spare '99 transmission w/52K with the same problem. It might be worth the effort to drop the pan and retighten the bolts, about 8 ft-lb. At least that would give an indication that the gaskets might need replacing. Here they charge about $800 to do the job. Believe they also have an improved seperator plate for that year so parts might run about $100 if you or a local non Ford mechanic do it. Early 97 versions of this transmission have a speed sensor near the engine and after mid year that was eliminated. If sensor is bad, these wires can be just connected together. Anyone who has a 5R55E and didn't drop the pan and tighten the bolts after 2 years is courting disaster.

You can do the flush yourself in about 30 minutes with no mess for the price of about 15 quarts of ATF.

Good luck ....

Back