How much for Service/Oil Change in US? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much for Service/Oil Change in US?

DesrtExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
KUWAIT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer Limited
Hello everyone.

I'm wondering how much is the regular service/oil change at a typical Ford Dealer in the US?

I just recently took mine in for the first scheduled service at 5000 KM and was charged KD 17.5 ($64). I tried to argue with the service rep. that the first service should be free. He replied "Not at FORD". Then I tried to get a discount and he said that the first service was already discounted 50%. From the next service on I would have to pay almost $128 per service :eek:. Then i asked him how much would it be if I were to get the oil change only and not the whole service? He replied that getting just an oil change would void the warranty. I HAVE to get the full service from the FORD dealership itself AND have to agree to the work they recommend in order to keep the warranty. I feel I'm being ripped off by Ford.

In comparison, the regular scheduled service for a Toyota Land Cruiser here is around $70. And there is no up-selling or pressure tactics.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello everyone.

I'm wondering how much is the regular service/oil change at a typical Ford Dealer in the US?

I just recently took mine in for the first scheduled service at 5000 KM and was charged KD 17.5 ($64). I tried to argue with the service rep. that the first service should be free. He replied "Not at FORD". Then I tried to get a discount and he said that the first service was already discounted 50%. From the next service on I would have to pay almost $128 per service :eek:. Then i asked him how much would it be if I were to get the oil change only and not the whole service? He replied that getting just an oil change would void the warranty. I HAVE to get the full service from the FORD dealership itself AND have to agree to the work they recommend in order to keep the warranty. I feel I'm being ripped off by Ford.

In comparison, the regular scheduled service for a Toyota Land Cruiser here is around $70. And there is no up-selling or pressure tactics.
I just checked one of my invoices and my first service was $54.20 (CDN). That included oil and filter plus mounting my Winter tires already on rims. The tire mounting was treated as a tire rotation. They also included a multi point inspection (64 items checked off) and tire alignment check. Free vehicle wash/dry included with every service.
Unlike Toyota, Ford doesn't offer free oil changes for the first few times. I think you service guys are a little off base. There are members on here that do their own oil changes and as long as you have proof it was done, it should be an issue.

Peter

Just an oil change I get for $17.95US at my Ford dealer. They have 50% off coupons on their website every month which makes it that price.

Fuel savers package which is lube, oil, filter, fill fluids and tire rotation is $39.95US.

Just an oil change I get for $17.95US at my Ford dealer. They have 50% off coupons on their website every month which makes it that price.

Fuel savers package which is lube, oil, filter, fill fluids and tire rotation is $39.95US.

What dealership is this?

He replied that getting just an oil change would void the warranty. I HAVE to get the full service from the FORD dealership itself AND have to agree to the work they recommend in order to keep the warranty. I feel I'm being ripped off by Ford.

I don't know how kuwait works, but in the US a manufacturer can't require you to have the vehicle serviced with them (they also can't require you to use their preferred brand of oil, filters, etc.). You must just have proof that the services have been performed to maintain the warranty (personal records with receipts for purchasing oil, filters, etc will work for this purpose, as well as records from other service stations).

Costs for a full synthetic oil change:

Walmart............$76.00

mine was almost 70$ and i had to do it myself i upgraded to royal purple best ever

Unfortunately, Kuwait Ford's policy is the same in the Philippines. Actually, any brand of vehicles here have to be serviced by an authorized dealer so as not to void the warranty. Service and Maintenance are the lifeblood of the dealers here. They take advantage while your vehicle is under warranty. Scare tactics!

Every Periodic Maintenance Service (PMS) costs around US$200 (or Php8,000.00) for me. DAMN IT!

What dealership is this?

This is from Portsmouth Ford in Portsmouth, NH. Here is a link to their flyer they send out every month and post on their website. Full price without the coupon but it's an every month special.

I bought my Ex from them and they are a high volume dealer. Every customer pays invoice price round up to the last 2 numbers being 95. So for example, if your Ex's invoice was $42,341, you pay $42,395 and only are charged for a title fee (no doc or paperwork fees). Everyone pays the same price so it's a no haggle dealership.

http://images.mmserver.com/display_email.php?qnid=1927858882&id=164659436-E34233

I went to the dealership and bought my oil and filter it was only $48 for everything.

I went to the dealership and bought my oil and filter it was only $48 for everything.

Not a bad price, if you figue the filter was about $9 (complete guess) and the oil was full synthetic (if a blend [the minimum requirement for the new Explorer], you got ripped). Next time, buy the OEM fitler from your dealership if you must, and get your oil (much better oils and selection) from the WalMart oil aisle.

Question: Does your local dealer enforce the "whichever comes first" policy in terms of service or is the service based on actual mileage/km used?

Not a bad price, if you figue the filter was about $9 (complete guess) and the oil was full synthetic (if a blend [the minimum requirement for the new Explorer], you got ripped). Next time, buy the OEM fitler from your dealership if you must, and get your oil (much better oils and selection) from the WalMart oil aisle.

Ya it was a little bit more. I will pay that to have a receipt of purchase from a ford dealership and be able to provide a accurate records, if there is ever a warranty issue.

oil: $18
filter: $5
do it myself: $0

:)

oil: $18
filter: $5
do it myself: $0

:)

What oil are you buying for $3.00 quart? Don't forget, the minimum oil requirement for the new Explorer's engine is a synthetic blend. There's no way your using a full synthetic oil at that price. IMO, you should be buying a better oil.

What oil are you buying for $3.00 quart? Don't forget, the minimum oil requirement for the new Explorer's engine is a synthetic blend. There's no way your using a full synthetic oil at that price. IMO, you should be buying a better oil.

I pay just under $5 for Mag 1 full synthetic oil (normal price). I buy it by the case. Mobile 1 synthetic, when on sale is about $5-$6/quart too.. (Good sales)..

Heck, I buy my filters by the case.. I pay about $3 for Wix filters.. That is for the FL1a and 820s style filters (typical sae ford filter and the metric they went to in the late 90's). I don't know what filter the 2011 uses though..

At any 1 time I have 2-5 cases of oil in varying viscosities and types in the shed. 2 vehicles get synthetic 5w-30 and two get 10w-30 dino so I try to keep enough oil on hand at all times to do oil changes.

I guess what I am saying is, buy it when its on sale, before you need it and you can save a bunch of money..

An added benefit to doing the oil change yourself is that you get to look under/around the vehicle to spot leaks/bends/cracks etc early.

Caveat, I don't know if changing your own oil is even an option in other countries to maintain the warranty. In the US it isn't so make sure before you go that route.

~Mark

$18.33 at Walmart for a 5 quart jug of Motorcraft synthetic blend.

$5 oil filter though?? I cringe to think he is using a junk Fram.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Bill. The synthetic blend requirement for some reason only applies to those sold in the U.S. In Canada Ford recommends SAE 5W-20 Super Premium Motor Oil or SAE 5W20 Synthetic Motor Oil. I'm not sure why the difference, I believe it the identical motor in all similar models. My dealer uses the Super Premium. Cost is $2.49 per litre. (1 litre = 1.056 US quarts)

Peter

Back