How much Friction Modifier in 8.8" Rear Diff. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much Friction Modifier in 8.8" Rear Diff.

King$nake

Reaction score
City, State
Oceanside, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Eddie Bauer 5.0
Hello,

Ok well I was having some severe chatter in my rear differential, so I bought 2 qts. of Lucas Oil 75W140 and a 4 oz bottle Redline limited-slip friction modifier.

Anyways last week I did the oil change in my garage but I spilled a little bit of the modifier when trying to get it in the fill cap...wasn't much, though.

I get it all together and the car drives noticeably smoother, but after 15 minutes of driving I start to notice more chatter, but not near as bad as it was before.

So when I was getting the new tires put on yesterday I was talking with the guy at the shop, and he told me I should add more modifier to fix the problem, and gave me a 4oz bottle. I added it today to the rear end, and after driving it again I notice it's even better, but I still noticed just a tad of chatter while turning from a stop.

So, should I add even more modifier to it until the chatter is gone? I don't know if it's good to add too much modifier or not.

Input on this? This is the first time I've worked on a rear diff at all, so excuse my inexperience.

Thank you,

Continuing Chatter

By now, IMO, you have added enough friction modifier, and since the noise is not completely "healed", it sounds as though the limited slip unit may be worn out.

Just my thoughts, 'cause, usually in my experience, as they wear, they simply get worse and worse at driving both wheels the same speed, but do not chatter at that stage. imp

Back