How much is 'too much' tranny fluid ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much is 'too much' tranny fluid ?

davem

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 XLT
I had my tranny fluid changed at a local shop a couple weeks ago. (2001 XLT V-6 with 144K miles)

They dropped the pan, but did not do a full 'flush', so I realize that not all the fluid was changed, and I can understand not knowing exactly how much it would take to refill.

Well, its high. When warmed up, and running, it well past the cross-hatch section .......... its all the way up to where the dipstick twists (I'd say its about the length of 2 more cross-hatch sections too high). To me, this is clearly way too much, and I assume could lead to problems ?

I'll probably take it back to the shop, not sure if they will siphon it out or disconnect a tube to the radiator to drain some out (or other ideas ?). (I dont want to have them remove the pan .......... we might just start this all over again.)

Or is there an easy DIY approach ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, insert tubing in dipstick tube and siphon or pump out. Be sure you check level as you are going down on level ground, transmission at operating temp, engine running, in neutral and after cycling through gears

I would not be too concerned. If the tranny had too much ATF, it would have leaked out of the vent tube on the transmission. Thats what happened to me when I did my own flush. I put a little too much in, and the excess came out of the vent tube. Its a small 1/4" rigid metal tube on the drivers side of the transmission.
Since then, I've had no issues.

I always had problems getting an accurate reading from the dipstick. So it could be your level is fine.

I'd heard there was a vent ........... was not sure if it could handle small amounts of over-fill AND more extensive over-fills. I will take a look and see if any is venting out.

When my dipstick tube was replaced (as part of the fluid change), is there any chance the new one is shorter, allow the dipstick to drop further, therefore reading high ? (I sure hope its the same length!)

I'd heard there was a vent ........... was not sure if it could handle small amounts of over-fill AND more extensive over-fills. I will take a look and see if any is venting out.

When my dipstick tube was replaced (as part of the fluid change), is there any chance the new one is shorter, allow the dipstick to drop further, therefore reading high ? (I sure hope its the same length!)

If the new dipstick is shorter, it would read low, not high.

Why was your dipstick replaced? It could be possible the new one is not the same length.

If the new dipstick is shorter, it would read low, not high.

Why was your dipstick replaced? It could be possible the new one is not the same length.

He said dipstick tube, not dipstick. In which case it would read high.

Back