How much limited slip friction modifier | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much limited slip friction modifier

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer
I've got the shudder thing from my limited slip. I've changed the diff lube to Mobil 1 75w-140 with one tube (4 oz) of Ford's friction modifier. That didn't stop the shudder, so I added two more tubes tonight. Shudder didn't go away (but may take a while for the modifier to work its way onto the clutch plates).

However, I am wondering how much friction modifier is too much. Anybody use more than 12 oz of the stuff??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

whoa! Only 4 ounces!

The shudder is because the CM is engaging the front wheels. Do the BWM. It will fix the shudder by not allowing to front wheels to engage when ever, only when needed.

The shudder is the binding up of your drive-train because there is no give on dry pavement so the car kinda skips around.

whoa! Only 4 ounces!

The shudder is because the CM is engaging the front wheels. Do the BWM. It will fix the shudder by not allowing to front wheels to engage when ever, only when needed.

The shudder is the binding up of your drive-train because there is no give on dry pavement so the car kinda skips around.

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not that. It's a 4WD, not an all-wheel drive.

It should only take one small bottle. That is all i used on my 91 when I redid the rear clutches and it never had a problem until one axle seal started leaking and my brakes started locking up. If you have three bottles in and its still being a pain, it is definitely time for new clutches.

Thanks for your suggestion, but it's not that. It's a 4WD, not an all-wheel drive.

I know. But its Auto 4x4, not manual. The control module is holding the front clutch at 10% or more. This is causing the shuddering. If its was AWD you would have a diff in the middle allowing the drive train to slip. But because its 4WD Auto, the control module does what it feels like. Mine felt like holding a minimum of 10% engagement.

Here is a test. Remove the trim to get to the Brown Wire, or Brown with Yellow stripe Wire. Cut either one in an easy to work with place and go for a drive. I will guarantee you the shudder will be gone. Then continue with the BWM. If it does not fix it, you easily crimp the wire back together...

If it's the 4wd clutch, why doesn't it also shudder when rolling slowly around a corner without power applied? This shudder only occurs when turning AND with power applied (accelerating). The power would engage the limited slip clutch plates but not change the 4wd clutch apply------------would it?

Do you have a link with more info on the circuit to the 4wd clutch?

Even easier test. Unplug the two plugs on the CM. Thats easier than cutting wires. If it still shudders then it might be the diff.

How about removing the 2 fuses for the 4wd in the power distribution box?? I did that and that didn't stop the chatter/groaning.

Even easier test. Unplug the two plugs on the CM. Thats easier than cutting wires. If it still shudders then it might be the diff.

Where's the control module??

Its right behind the glove box hanging off the blower housing. Small black box with two wire harnesses

Just a follow-up. I drove the Explorer this weekend (it's my wife's vehicle) and the noise is now gone. Must have taken a while for the oil to soak into the clutch plates.

Back