How much more. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How much more.

Skywalkerlt5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport,Smoked Quartz
Hi all. New to the form. Looking to buy a 15-17 sport to replace my 04 Trailblazer. I expect the performance will be much better. I am wondering how much more power is possible with add ones and a tune?
Thanks . Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi all. New to the form. Looking to buy a 15-17 sport to replace my 04 Trailblazer. I expect the performance will be much better. I am wondering how much more power is possible with add ones and a tune? Is there any to watch out for when buying used?
Thanks . Rob
Welcome to the Forum Rob.:wave:
There are several existing threads on 'tunes'. The most popular seems to be from Livernois. You can use the 'Search' feature (top right) or scroll through the threads to find some of the info you are seeking. As for issues to look for when buying used, that question really should be posted in the 'Discussion' sub forum. It has also been answered several times in threads there. Good luck.

Peter

It may come down to money, but the 2017 has non-performance improvements over the 2016 -- it has Sync 3 & Car Play which is the next generation infotainment system. It's very good, fast, responsive, etc. The older models don't have it. And well the 2016/2017 have improved exterior aesthetics which make it look more like a Land Rover. The 2016 might not have LED fog lights, and other minor differences.

Obviously, if you go 2017, you are buying new, and that's what I did 6 weeks ago. Also Smoked Quartz is a new color for MY17 -- it's a super dark gray, basically 90% black. That's what I got. Looks like crap on the website config. Have to see it in person.

I would not consider any of the older models, unless saving a bunch of money is a priority for you. I have no intention of tuning mine because it'll invalidate parts of the warranty should something go wrong and Ford only have average reliability. Going 0-60 in 6 seconds is pretty powerful already, and it feels pretty special in a 5000 lb car. Amazing engine note, and in my opinion, best bang for the buck for a performance based 7-seater, family hauler.

All-in-all, very happy with mine and haven't experienced any issues. Although I did have a minor alignment issue in my rear hatch but it hasn't happened since I took it in to get looked at. And there is a known issue with minor throttle oscillation if you start the car after it's been sitting for 30-60 minutes. Seems to be an oxygen sensor condensation issue, and hitting the gas burns it off, but under light throttle, the car can lurch weirdly for a couple seconds. Doesn't matter if you are going forwards or backwards.

Things I dislike most about this car:
  • The way the 3rd row seats deploy and stow. Nice that they are powered, but whenever you switch modes, you have to move everything. Anything in the well has to be cleared out before you can stow them.
  • I regret not getting bucket seats -- the standard 3-seater bench doesn't adjust forwards or backwards, but if you get the bucket seats, you have more flexibility, but lose one seat. The bench seat is a bit of a pain to fold.
  • 6 speed transmission is a little crude. I like Audis that make use of the brilliant ZF-8 transmission, which always has you in the correct gear. I've gotten used to the Ford, but it's a weak point. Sometimes when you hit the gas and it down-shifts, you get too much power and the car lurches, and other times it lags before it realizes you want to go. It lacks refinement. But again, once you get used to it, you're better able to anticipate it.
  • Roof rack has really low weight limits (45lbs with sunroof, 100lbs without). My assumption is that it's a center of gravity thing rather than a structural integrity issue.
  • Weak seat backings for 2nd/3rd row. Don't let kids crawl around in the back to fetch things, and don't throw winter tires in there -- be delicate while loading/unloading.

Your comments on the transmission really hit home with me, the only shortcoming on the car that stands out. I have the naturally asperated v-6 3.5 and have gone to the livernois tune
for my car. What a difference, car feels 1000 pounds lighter and in general is just plain better to drive. They warn you about the transmission shifting oddly for 200 miles or so before working its way back to correct----mine took much longer but slowly but surely has gotten much better and will work its way out-----I think because I drive mainly highway miles it has taken longer.

Hi all. New to the form. Looking to buy a 15-17 sport to replace my 04 Trailblazer. I expect the performance will be much better. I am wondering how much more power is possible with add ones and a tune?
Thanks . Rob

The engine has been the same for many years now. It is very reliable. It depends if you want the new body style and also your budget. It is a 5000 LB truck with a 0-60 Sport in about 5.8 seconds. Tune will do a few milliseconds faster but that depends on a tune. It could be a placebo effect due to the sound. It will not even get you close to 5 seconds on 0-60 Sports with tunes due to the truck weight.

Thanks for all the replies. Been watching some videos of test drives and can't wait to get behind the wheel of one.

Keep in mind two things regarding the transmission comments.

1. Explorer's transmission learns the driving characteristics of its owner so each vehicle will drive slightly different.

2. If you get a tune the behaviour of the transmission is changed for the better, doesn't matter which vendor you get the tune from.

My 2016 sport has been in the shop for almost 3 weeks getting the transmission re-built. This exact transmission hesitation is what happened right before the overdrive drum blew. < Their terminology.

I am wondering if a tune would have prevented the hesitation, then harsh downshift casing the failure. Seems like a tune sharpens the shifting in the Sports and might solve most of the transmission computer issues the 2016 have been experiencing.

So I've been thinking a lot on this and have done a few of my own tests. In fact, the last couple days, I started driving more in Sport mode instead of drive mode to get a feel for the differences, and have found the driving experience to actually be a lot smoother. The shifting is less harsh and it holds gears better. Of course, there are cases in Sport mode where it revs higher after you get to your desired city street speed then let off the gas.

Anyways, yesterday, I was driving home on a clear residential street, and was playing around with the Intelligent 4WD display where it graphs individual power to front and rear tires. I was able to reproduce the very rare harsh downshift. Well in this case, the fronts had all the power, and I was cruising at around 60-70km/h in drive mode and my foot was lightly on the accelerator. The street I was driving on had a slight incline (I was going slightly uphill). Then I punched the gas, and after a lengthy delay, it downshifted harshly and lurched forward.

Another time I experienced this was when I initially test drove a different 2017 Sport and once you clear the dealer lot, you are driving up a steeper hill. That's when I punched it for the very first time, and experienced the harsh delayed downshift, and gave me a really negative first impression. Especially bad considering I had recently test driven the Q7, and the Q7 was silky smooth all the time.

So my theory is that is you accelerate hard while power to the rear axle is disengaged, you'll get the harsh downshift.

So I imagine this won't happen during slow city driving, or from a full stop. You have to be at a cruising speed before you punch it. Anyways, it's my theory right now, and I believe this could be solved with programming.

Here's a video... it's not great and doesn't repro the problem, but you can see how long it takes from my wet squeaky foot gunning it until the acceleration kicks in (delayed reaction). The video only shows drive mode. In sport mode, it's much more responsive. It definitely shows the Explorer Sport's weakest point though -- transmission unresponsiveness.

This thread is asking about the expectation of tunes. There are other threads on transmission issues.

Peter

Back