how often do temp senders go bad on these cars? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how often do temp senders go bad on these cars?

sunil6784

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Hi everyone,

My 94 XLT never gets above "C" on the temp gauge. Just wondering how the senders are on these cars. I was also thinking it might be the t-stat. My heat works fine, but I'm pretty sure that the heater core bypasses the t-stat? I'm thinking of just changing the t-stat and see if that fixes the problem.

Any tips/suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My needle always sits just below the "N" on the NORMAL range. Even in 110 degree heat in the summers here in Phx. What I did notice early on is that in the mornings when I first start it the needle will gradually warm up to the middle, stay there for a minute or two, and drop down to it's favorite place, just below the "N". I've talked to other Ex owners that have experienced the same thing - explorers that seem to always run cool.

edit for spelling

When I first got mine, the cooling gauge did not work. I replaced the sender, and the guage itself, still nothing. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure it out, then one day it just started working on its own, and has worked perfect, with a new water pump and 'stat, since then. Weird. Anyways, a new temp sender only costs about $5, so if you are not sure, it wont hurt to get a new one. If it was the thermostat, it would still give you a reading.

I had the same problem. After replacing the t-stat, the needle moved up to the middle of the gauge, and worked as I would expect it to for about a week. Since then, it hovers right around the C. I'm guessing that based on the fact the needle showed a change before, tells me that my X just has a cool running engine...

Mine was always below the C, no matter what. Turns out the thermostat was bad. Got it replaced and now it works fine.

Same thing on mine I repalced the T-stat still same thing. Replaced the sending unit & it works now. Although when it's hot out it now reads at the l in normal. I think just my gauge is not accurate.

Darrman said:
If it was the thermostat, it would still give you a reading.

No it wouldn't - if the thermostat is stuck open and it's trying to warm up, and the cold coolant is just running through the t-stat then it'll never warm up and always run cold. You would notice crappy gas mileage though if this was the case.

-Drew

I thought that he was getting no reading at all, thats what mine was doing. If it was the 'stat he would still get a reading, just not accurate. I replaced the stat in mine because I noticed, after the gauge started working, that it would climb up past normal and then drop back, like it was sticking a little. New 'stat fixed that.

Here's what I think is going on :

I think the stat is stuck open, and there is not enough coolant in the system. I drove the car a bit, then popped the hood expecting to find coolant in the overflow jug, but there wasn't any. Also, around town the gauge does go up-just not past the C. I payed close attention to the gauge on the highway today, and the temp gauge goes right up between the "N" and "O" on NORMAL. So I think that the t-stat is stuck open but there is not enough coolant in the system, which lets it warm up on the highway at the higher RPMS for a sustained time.

Unfortunately I have no time to change the t-stat until Wednesday. So i'll post then and let everyone know if that fixed it. BTW, I'm assuming stock t-stat on this car is a 192?

Yeah that's actually what was wrong with mine, it was stuck open. As a result it was always at the very bottom below C.

i have noticed that befor i can drive all day and the explorer stays cool never over the r in normal, i guess that just shows how good these cars are....

temp senders and t-stat

Had the same problem, just changed the t-stat today everything is fine now. Found out that the t-stat was the original one! ( wow 12 years of service before failing ).

this is the coolant temperature sender right? where are you guys getting it for 5 bucks? im looking at auto parts stores and its like 20 bucks.

Its the coolant temp sensor, its in the forward left corner of the intake manifold, only cost me $5-6 at Orielly. The sender is a different part, and it will cost $20. I went through this, looking online, was surprised when I went to buy it, saved a bit of money.

i checked parts america, napa and autozone and they have it for like 15-30 bucks. are you using a different application than your '91 or maybe its called sometihng else.

You are looking at the sensor, not sender, right? I am positive that is what I paid. Its just a little plug with a single wire hookup, it would be crazy to charge more anyways. Do you have a oreilly's in your area, you should check with them.

coolant.jpg

thats what i bought today. going to install it later. i guess i didn't mind spending so much for it, it did make me finally elibigble to reddem my 20 dollar gift card

Man, that sucks, I checked at lunch at orielly's when I went up there, that was the right price, Borg temp sensor. I guess they charge a lot more in Maryland than Texas. By the way, getting that thing threaded up is a pain, very tight fit around it.

I changed my t-stat today. THe person who did it before me had it in backwards !! All is good now...just one question, when I flused the system, I stuck the hose in the overflow jug to clean that out as well. But there it is full of water, and the radiator is full of coolant. Is it ok that there is that much water in overflow jug?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

changing the t-stat is a PITA. my explorer is sitting there til the weekend because i lost one of the bolts that hold the housing on. i also changed the heater core and the temp sensor and those were a piece of cake.

Back