• Register Today It's free!

How often do you Floor Your Ex

irocdupi

Reaction score
City, State
Smithtown NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 Explorer XLT
Just wanted to see how many people gas their Ex's up. I occasionaly floor mine maybe once every 2000 miles but limit myself to 4 grand. I usually do it when everything is nice and warmed up and will run it from 0 to 100 hitting 4 every shift or sometimes hitting it on the highway to make sure it doesnt hesistate.

I have the 4.0 93,750 miles

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have been told that my 01 sport smells horrible when i do, so i try to keep the revs to no more than 2000, 2500 going up the hills and i try to avoid highways

I rarely drive my 2002 with 112K miles, a C6 Corvette is my daily driver, and it is even more rare when I am alone in the Ex, as it used for the family truckster.

However, every time I am alone in it, I floor the heck out of it (after it is fully warmed up and the traffic is clear).

In this way I can listen to the engine for any missing/hesitation, and to the tranny for any delayed or flaring shifts. I don't beat on it, but I do wind it out.

So far, so good. It should not hurt a healthy and well-maintained vehicle.

However, just to be clear, one does not need to floor modern cars to burn out the carbon as we needed to 40+ years ago.

Whenever I have the $$ to pay for the gas. I usually have a little fun a couple times a week once it is well warmed up. I don't know why but it's hard for it not to peel out if I give it more than half the pedal from a stand still. I love my explorer!

Whenever I have the $$ to pay for the gas. I usually have a little fun a couple times a week once it is well warmed up. I don't know why but it's hard for it not to peel out if I give it more than half the pedal from a stand still. I love my explorer!

Never in my 97 XLT 4WD 5.0 or my '02 Limited 4.6 AWD have I ever managed to chirp the tires, except in wet weather or snow/ice. That's what the Corvette's for. How do you get yours to turn the tires over?

Every couple of months I have a 250 mile run to pick up my son for school holidays, usually floor it 4-5 times and the same two weeks later when I drop him home. This is only for overtaking slower vehicles on a one lane up one down hwy. Around town I'm a good boy.

I don't know. It's always been able to. The other day the roads were clear and I have new tires but it still went 30 feet before I let off. I haven't tried to burn them up since I can't afford it but sometimes I can't help myself for a couple seconds.

you guys are being a bunch of babys, not flooring your trucks! whats the point of an engine that makes (x) horsepower if you never use it? its not bad for it to run at full throttle.

i dont have a newer X, i have two first gens.. my DD/work explorer gets full throttle every day, from almost every stop. i even tow with it some (more weight than i probably should) and have floored it up mountain passes for 30+ minutes straight (thats full throttle, rpm near red-line in second gear)

when i drive my off-road x it gets full throttle about constantly. (heres some video) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bIh6zp7A_o
both have held up quite well.

i guess i just like pushing stuff to the limit. but i still believe that is is not bad for an engine to run at max power output (unless it has a cooling issue and it is sustained high power output)

97 mountaineer 5.0 2wd vs new mini cooper

2 years ago on the highway coming back from weekend vacation i went hit 100 miles an hour!there i looked in my mirror i saw a green sporty mini cooper passing big rigs on the slow lane and going on the fast lane passing other cars right behind me.so i waited till it got behind me and it went in the slow lane to pass me and then i hit the gas pedal to the floor .it was next to me and it try to pass me it could not everytime it tried there was a big rig in the slow lane so it went behind me i was going about 117 miles an hour.my 5.0 mountaineer could of went faster.then my wife yells slow down i forgot for a sec!i had my family in my suv! i went in the slow lane to let the mini cooper pass me and i floor it to the floor to see if i can catch up with it!i was right next to it i release the gas pedal.that was fun.love the mustang 5.0 engine in my 97 mountaineer!couple month later i had to replace my cam shaft and sencer and i dont know if going over 117 miles an hour cause it?

im always flooring mine its so gutless with the 33's any little hill on the highway and its downshifting it pisses me off

2 years ago on the highway coming back from weekend vacation i went hit 100 miles an hour!there i looked in my mirror i saw a green sporty mini cooper passing big rigs on the slow lane and going on the fast lane passing other cars right behind me.so i waited till it got behind me and it went in the slow lane to pass me and then i hit the gas pedal to the floor .it was next to me and it try to pass me it could not everytime it tried there was a big rig in the slow lane so it went behind me i was going about 117 miles an hour.my 5.0 mountaineer could of went faster.then my wife yells slow down i forgot for a sec!i had my family in my suv! i went in the slow lane to let the mini cooper pass me and i floor it to the floor to see if i can catch up with it!i was right next to it i release the gas pedal.that was fun.love the mustang 5.0 engine in my 97 mountaineer!couple month later i had to replace my cam shaft and sencer and i dont know if going over 117 miles an hour cause it?

Do you have an aftermarket computer tune? It should be limited at around 106 from the factory.

Almost never... can't remember the last time.

These things are tractors. I have other cars to go fast.

im always flooring mine its so gutless with the 33's any little hill on the highway and its downshifting it pisses me off

You do recognize that with 33's that you have in effect installed a way low final drive gear ratio? I'm wondering what did you expect? Put in 4.56 diff gears and get your power back and then some.

I floor mine all the time, i just love the sound of that V8 exhaust wth no cats :D

Whenever it is neccessary

Every time I drive it. In NJ, If you dont, you will get run off the road.

lol i thought everyone does....either that or i just have a magnet on the bottom of my shoe that always gets pulld to the floor. 268,x.. miles n i give her all shes got almost 100% of the time. I love the looks i get from people in slower rush hour traffic when im doing about 30-35 in 3rd-4th gear n mash...drops nicely down to 2st or second n lifts the front endn jumps up in spped quick. Mild mods hahaha

I pretty much stopped "flooring" it after a couple of episodes where my throttle stuck wide open in city traffic.

That was an off the scale "pucker" experience.

But I was able to discover that stock X braking system will overcome stock 4.0L OHV. Barely.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 03 hit the limiter about once or twice a month during the summer.

I've floored the 01 about 3 times so far, once was when I first took delivery to see how she ran, once was to overtake someone, and the last time was Saturday when I picked it up from the dealer for warranty work.

Back