How Rare Is My 91 Eddie Bauer Explorer 5 speed? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How Rare Is My 91 Eddie Bauer Explorer 5 speed?

PCTechman

Reaction score
City, State
Central Islip, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer 4X4 EB
I have a 1991 Ford Explorer Eddie Bauer 4.0 V6 with 5 spd manual transmission. Some tell me it's very rare, when the mechanic I use went to a new shop, I brought it in for a new clutch. The owner didn't believe it had a stick and thought the mechanic was prankng him on it, he was scratching his head, said he never heard of one with a stick before..... I've seen others on ebay but not that many... Is it really that rare or is it just that there are so many more Explorers with automatic trannys? Just Curious!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd say its pretty rare. Wonder if it was a special order deal?

If I remember correctly, they didn't start with the XL designation till 95 maybe? As far as I know its the plain vanilla Explorer, Sport, XLT, Eddie Bauer, and Limited.

But a manual in an Eddie? Not seen that.

Really?

I have never seen an XL. My bad.

When I bought mine in 2001, I managed to find a 99 in stick, but of course it took going to a ford auction lot with 1000's of new fords every week for 3 weeks to finally find one.

It's kind of rare, The eddie bauers didn't start until 92, so I doubt there are many 91's out there, and the ones with a stick were usually the xl, and some xlt's.

I still have the sales booklet from 1991 and it shows the Eddy Bauer even in a two door model. Never saw one in person until one of my visits to the junk yard and happened to see one there. A very beautiful sight.:thumbsup:

I still have the sales booklet from 1991 and it shows the Eddy Bauer even in a two door model. Never saw one in person until one of my visits to the junk yard and happened to see one there. A very beautiful sight.:thumbsup:

Just chiming in on that one, '93 Eddie Sport over here, automatic though. Only seen 1 other Eddie Sport besides mine in person myself.

To the point of the thread, that does sound at least somewhat rare. I would venture to guess that being an Eddie Bauer it is supposed to be "luxury" which typically also means auto. Whether or not automatic=luxury or hinderance, well that's debatable.;) Keep her clean and enjoy PCT

Maybe its just a reg. explorer, with eddie bauer body parts, seats, etc etc.

Mines a 4 door, red and light tan, leather power seats, has the eddie bauer enscribed trim, had the eddie bauer pinstripes that were removed by me very quickly, and im not sure what else the eb's had

If I remember correctly, they didn't start with the XL designation till 95 maybe? As far as I know its the plain vanilla Explorer, Sport, XLT, Eddie Bauer, and Limited.

But a manual in an Eddie? Not seen that.

XL was always an option, then in 98 the XL was changed to XLS, and it was the limited that I was thinking of that didn't come out until 93.

My 1992 Explorer XL HAD a pretty rare combo...

Manual Windows, Manual Locks, No Rear Defrost. No Rear Wiper, Manual Transmission, White Exterior, No Plastic (Tupperware) molding under the rockers, Blue Interior, No Roof Rack/rails, No Lighted Visors, 2WD, Manual Cloth Seats, Single Cup Holder, AM/FM radio, but my XL had 'black' paint between the rear rear glass, and side Cargo Windows. Most XL's are body colored in this area.

I think the only thing that would have made it MORE rare, was a 60/40 bench...

I bet most of the guys here have NEVER even seen a TRUE 60/40 Front Bench Explorer

Alot of that has since changed....

But that's the way it started life...

Ryan

My Eddie B2 is a manual :p:

Haven't seen a manual EB explorer yet, only thing that would make it even more rare would be a manual 1354/hubs.

My 1992 Explorer XL HAD a pretty rare combo...

Manual Windows, Manual Locks, No Rear Defrost. No Rear Wiper, Manual Transmission, White Exterior, No Plastic (Tupperware) molding under the rockers, Blue Interior, No Roof Rack/rails, No Lighted Visors, 2WD, Manual Cloth Seats, Single Cup Holder, AM/FM radio, but my XL had 'black' paint between the rear rear glass, and side Cargo Windows. Most XL's are body colored in this area.

I bet most of the guys here have NEVER even seen a TRUE 60/40 Front Bench Explorer

Ryan
Thats the same combo as my 96 xl except I have 4x4, and no plastic bumpers on the doors, and no tilt steering column. My brother used to have a 92 xlt with the cloth bench up front, its the only one I've ever seen.
It seems like for 4 doors first gens are a bit easier to find than seconds and thirds, if you can even find one.

Ryan

i did, my 1991 HAD the 60/40 bench in the front absolutely hated it and threw it in the trash for 2nd Gen Buckets instead.

Rare as rocking horse poo I suspect.

I've got a 91 XL 4dr with the five speed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's about the rarest Explorer with a manual.

I've seen two Eddie's with a manual. I've heard there are some '02 four doors with a manual. I have never seen one though. They've got to be rather rare as well.

Back