• Register Today It's free!

How rare?

Jorley

Reaction score
City, State
Town Creek, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'84 Bronco ll XL
I found out my '84 is a XL thru the VIN. There are no "XL" marking on it. It has the lift up rear glass and the swinging tire carrier. I read in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160473 that they are rare. How rare are they? I like the way the glass opens independent of the hatch. Not planning on changing it or anything, just curious.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pretty much everything was an option regardless of the trim package. My eddie had/has a manual transmission, electric t-case, power windows/locks, rear tire carrier and a rear hatch with fixed glass, my dads eddie was auto tranny, manual t-case, manual windows/locks, rear tire carrier and an opening lift gate window.

I found out my '84 is a XL thru the VIN. There are no "XL" marking on it. It has the lift up rear glass and the swinging tire carrier. I read in http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=160473 that they are rare. How rare are they? I like the way the glass opens independent of the hatch. Not planning on changing it or anything, just curious.

Don't know about the rarity of the "XL" designation...

I've never seen a lift up rear glass on a B2 of any year, any option package...that suggests to me that it's rare...

About half the B2s I've seen have an external spare (or provisions for one; like the owner took it off)...Not too rare for this option imho.

We've probably had 3-4 B2s with separate opening glass... And the one XL we owned had a fixed rear glass. Like I said, most everything was an option regardless of trim package.

My son's has the rear opening glass, his is an '84. We "fixed" the front though with a Wrangler leaf sprung D30! BII's are like Jeeps, it doesn't matter how rare, it still isn't worth anything to a collector. That's why they make good projects for wheeling!

The Rangers and Bronco II of the early 80's I don't think had XL badging. XL was just the base model. I see that rear window type all the time on B II's

Back