How reliable is the 4.6L + 5-speed auto? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How reliable is the 4.6L + 5-speed auto?

masospaghetti

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT, OHV, 4D, 4x4, 5M
I am pretty familiar with the 2nd gen Explorer but know very little about 3rd gens.

The 5.0 + 4R70W + AWD system have a very good reputation for reliability. The 4.0 SOHC + 5R55E + BW4406 is about the opposite.

How does the 4.6 and 5-speed compare to the above? I really like the look of the 3rd gen but am worried about upkeep.

Thanks all!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The engine is as bullet proof as they get. The trans is the weak knee BUT... that being said, if you keep up on the trans flushes AND don't run the thing hot, don't get in a hurry to drop it in gear and mash the throttle, ect they will last. Servo bores seem to be the culprit as they wear over time.

Thanks for the reply. Is the 6-speed auto any better?

How about the transfer case?

Not sure on the 6-speed as they haven't been out there long enough for me to form an opinion. The transfer case is, in my opinion, a gem. VERY well done factory piece.

My parents had an early build 2002 4.6. The first trans kicked the bucket at 33k and was rebuilt by the dealer. The rebuild was on its way out around 62k. Truck was traded at that point on a 2007 4.6.

The 6AT seems to be much more reliable but I'm not a fan of it's low speed shifting. The jerking it does pulling away from a stop absolutely kills it for me. This also happens in the LR Discoverys with the same transmission.

Back