How serious of a problem is this, and what is it? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How serious of a problem is this, and what is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Limited
Well, driving to work this morning, making a right turn at the bottom of my hill, the car shakes. It feels like when rotors are out of line, and you hit the brakes. This shaking happens every time I make a right turn.

When I was getting on the freeway, it was doing it under acceleration, and also the steering felt very loose, and continued to feel loose for about 30 seconds after acceleration.

Any ideas what this could be, or how serious it is?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It sounds like your wheel bearings are worn and need to be looked at... When bearings being to fail they do so slowly but the wear will quickly escalate. A Hub failure (wheel bearings are contained within your hub) can causing major damage. In the pic below the wheel bearings broke and caused the front wheel to separate .

broken.JPG

If this is the problem, how soon do I need to get it looked at, because it will not be easy for me to get it in for about a week, and I drive about 20 miles on the freeway each way to work everyday. Do you think it could wait until next weekend, or would it be best to squeeze in this weekend?

If this is the problem, how soon do I need to get it looked at, because it will not be easy for me to get it in for about a week, and I drive about 20 miles on the freeway each way to work everyday. Do you think it could wait until next weekend, or would it be best to squeeze in this weekend?

IMO it is best to play it safe and get it looked at ASAP.. Normally when bearings start to go you hear a slight grinding noise for a while before you start to Feel problems with the front end. Once you can feel the front end is not right you have a problem that needs attention.. Like ball-joints and tie rods front wheel bearings are a big safety concern.. Loosing a wheel at modest speed can gave grave consequence...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back