How-To: 1st Gen Ball Joints / U Joints / Spindle Bearings | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To: 1st Gen Ball Joints / U Joints / Spindle Bearings

great thread!

kinda on topic. anyone every been able to locate a part # or anything for the rubber O ring on the back of the center cap that keeps the grease from possibly flinging out? mine got messed up, and ford tare down didnt even show such a part, and every part store around has zero listing for it. i ended up having to hit up a junkyard, and replaced it with a used one off another truck.
I once got a pair of those from Warn. I'm running Warn hubs, but they are the same as Ford stock hubs. I just called up Warn and told them what I needed. Sorry, I don't have the part number.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The first time I took a stab at the project was a rather frustrating moment. I have a 12 point 12mm socket, but it's a 1/2" drive and it didn't fit right where the pinch bolt rested.

Had to reassemble everything and drive to the shop for a new socket:mad:

axle pivot point bushings

Has anyone upgraded the axle pivot point bushings to poly replacements. I'm just getting ready to start my front end upgrade and have obtained all the replacement bushings to get this done, but have only done it on the D28 in my Ranger, once I got the rubber ones out the poly replacements went in with not trouble. But it appears the D35 in the Explorer has metal sleeve the rubber is contained in and not sure just how difficult it will be to remove.

u just remove the rubber inside an leave the metal shell as thats what the bushing sits inside of. so drill or burn out (burn it out if off the truck) the old bushing an clean up the outter shell, dont try to remove it for clean up.
put some grease on the new bushing when you install them.it should come with some if it dont u can use wheel bearing grease.

I have a 94 explorer with abs, Any one know if nonABS and ABS spindles are the same? Any one have a part number for wheel bearings and seals, Are the inner and outers and right and lefts the same. New to site Thank for any help.

ABS and non-ABS spindles are different. The ABS ones have notches for the sensors. The bearings and seals are the same for both sides. Look at http://www.rockauto.com for the parts, they are a partner with this site and there is a discount code for a few % off, look for it in the vendors forum.

thanks, Is there any one that has a ABS spindle they would like to sell? can't seem to find one, any place to look?

If you're looking for the whole spindle (not just the bearings) I'm going to assume that its cause the end is out of round, and the bearing is wobbling around now...

I am going through this problem right now myself :mad::mad::mad:

I tried the junkyard, ended up with another bad one and got screwed for $80 on it too.

The cheapest place I found is Bob Utter Ford, they are around $230 each with shipping. Local dealers all wanted around $320+ for them. Expect to wait over a week since they have to find it in the dealer network. I just replaced one, and have a second one in shipping. All I see is $$$$ going away :eek:

The outer nut got hot and welded it self to the spindle, never seen nothing like it!

Could you put the notches in a non ABS spindle and make it work?

I wouldn't go messing around with the spindle, its all precision machine work that is the only thing connecting your tire to your suspension.... I'm not sure on the specifics of how much different they are either, there is at least the sensor notch and a threaded hole near it. You'd probably be much better off trying to find a junkyard one at least, if there is a u-pull it place bring a bearing with you and make sure it doesn't wiggle at all (<1/64 or so) on the end of the spindle before you buy one.

I found one at the junk yard for $50, but still need nuts, any one know if you can buy new ones other then from ford?

do you have manual hubs? If so the nuts are different than the auto hubs. I had a bearing weld itself to the spindle once, not too fun, but these parts are common in the junkyard. I have a few(6) hubs around here if someone wants to PM me for buying one or two I can part with a couple that are ready for the abs sensor and I'll beat those junkyard prices.

I've been having a friend try to do the ball sockets on my 1994 Limited. I just put new tires on and the guys at NTB wanted $1100 to do all 4 joints. They said the tires will only last 2 months if they aren't done. My friend gets all the way to removing the 6mm and the socket slips over it. Can the bolt rust and reduce the diameter? Suggestions?

It is possible for the 6mm 12pt bolt that holds the ABS sensor block on to have the head partially rusted off, I have seen them this way in the junkyard. Its such a small amount of metal, they're more splines than flats to put the socket on.

First try pounding on a socket of a smaller size if you have one, or cutting a slot in the head of the bolt (though I doubt this is possible, even with Dremel with a right angle adapter)

You might be able to either drill the head off or use a large screwdriver and a BFH to snap the head off the bolt. Then you should be able to remove the block, and use pliers to remove the rest of the bolt. Any bolt that fits should be fine for replacing it. (maybe a cap screw)

Other option is to get a chisel and hammer and split the block off of the bolt (I've done this in the junkyard to remove spindles) Obvious downside here is that you will need to find replacements, I'm not sure if the dealer still has them.

Thanks. What a pain. I don't have another car to drive to work and he's already put plenty of hours into it. He's a dealer mechanic, too, for pete's sake. This may be the thing that prompts me to buy a new car. It was a source of pride to drive the oldest thing on the block, but it may be time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This is my commuting car, about 300 miles a week. I should probably upgrade to something with better mileage. I was just trying to delay the inevitable. I would likely give it to my dad to use in Colorado during the summer. The automotive equivalent of being put out to pasture.

Back