• Register Today It's free!

How to 3rd Gen Coilovers

rangermidtn

Reaction score
City, State
Smyrna TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT 4x4
I have had a request on a how to for the coil overs I did on my Explorer, so I am going to do that. Now on mine I bought a set of used lower arms, but you can use your arms if you don't mind not being able to drive. I used the brackets that's in the pics for my upper and lower mounts. When you get them they come in 2 sizes, both measure up 1 1/2", but one is 1.5" wide, and the othe is 1.25" wide. I used the 1.25", because was the width of coilover eyelets with the bushings installed. Alright our struts measure around 21.25" from the upper mount to the center of the lower mount. On mine I also had a truxx spacer which was around 1.75", so I had a total of 23". So I need a total of 23" between my coilovers and mounts to keep the same ride height. I found some coilovers(QA1's from summit racing) that measured 18.75". My mounts were 3", but then you have to add from the original mount, which on mine was 2". So I had a total 23.75". Alright, for the top spacer I got a 5" round 1/4" plate for both sides. I welded the bracket to it, made sure it was centered and straight. I had to trim about 3/4" of each side to fit in the original upper mount. Alright some pic's of what I have gone over so far.
Upper mounts, also these are the brackets I used top and bottom
IMG_0009.jpg

My coilovers
IMG_0024.jpg

Alright so the only thing I had left on the upper mount was to drill my original mounting holes, I used my Truxx spacers for this, but you could also put them in the upper mount and mark your locations. Now it is time for the lower arms, this was the hardest part for me due to the hole in our arms for the original strut mount. What I decided to do was weld in a piece of 3/16 metal to fill the hole, and to use for my bracket. I use a piece of paper and marked the hole, and then transfered to a piece of 3/16" steel and cut out. I then mocked it in, but if you have looked at your arm you will notice it curves were the hole is. I put the piece of metal in a vice and kept bendin until I got it to match the arm. Then I welded it in, and used gussets on the bottom to support it. Now it is time to mount the bracket, you will need a grinder to form the bottom to fit your arm. Remember when you mount the bracket it as to run the same way as the original mount. I used two long bolts, one in the arms mounting hole, and one in the brackets to get the equal heights for the brackets on both sides. When you mount the bracket, mount to the edge of the arm, and a 1/2 ahead of the original mounting holes in the arm. This will give you the clearance you need for the cv axles.
Brackets and plate welded to the arms
DSCN0054_zps04fe50ed.jpg

Alright, now you are ready to mount your struts. I recommend getting a 750 to 800lb spring for your coilovers. The installation is different for which way you went with the arms, fo me I took the hole front apart due to me changing the arms. I am not very good at right ups, so if you have any questions, you can ask them on this thread(http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=373032). Here's some pics of the final install.
DSCN0202_zps15f060fc.jpg

DSCN0191_zpsb47090c7.jpg

DSCN0195_zpsb75f6624.jpg

Back