how to access CANP solenoid??? ...more | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

how to access CANP solenoid??? ...more

troutswithbamboo

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst/Bakertown
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT
I occasionally smell raw gas in and around my 94 Exploder (113k miles) and am wondering if the canister purge solenoid has gone bug huntin' (failed)?? I can see the solenoid, but wonder if the intake must be removed first?? How can I tell if the solenoid is working? Is there vacuum to it at a certain point?

Also, when I remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator it hints of dampness or a drop of ? fuel? . Could the smell be related to the regulator diaphragm failing and is that drop of ? fuel the sign of a problem?
THANKS!!!!
dan

I don't know where the solenoid is on the '94. On the '92 its inline between the intake manifold and the charcoal canister, just dangling. If you disconnect the vacuum line beteen the solenoid and the canister, you should feel vacuum when the engine is running.

Also, look under the truck, near the fuel filter (near driver's side door). There is a vapor line that runs from the fuel tank to the charcoal canister. There is a short rubber hose connecting 2 steel vapor lines. Check this hose to make sure it hasn't deteriorated. Check the fuel filter connections while you're underneath.

If the FPR is leaking fuel back through its vacuum line (due to a ruptured diaphragm) , the truck will run very rich and fuel economy will be poor.

Bob

BIG Thanks Bob!!

...I appreciate the information!!!

best ones!

dan

Back