How to access/open sidemarker lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to access/open sidemarker lights

Rainlord

Reaction score
City, State
Zurich, Switzerland
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer 2012 XLT
I'm in the process of changing out all the old "standard" bulbs on my 2012 Explorer XLT with LEDs and so far so good. However, I'm now at the sidemarker lights (the tiny little lights just below the headlights, it's a w5w bulb according to the manual) and can't figure out how to open them or get at the bulb. I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere on it on Google or on here. I can see the wire under the hood, but without removing the whole headlight assembly I can't see where it goes (and my arms are too thick to get very far). I figure there must be an easier way than doing that. I tried prying at it with a flat screwdriver but nothing was giving away easily.

Does anyone know how to get them open or how to pop them out to get access to the bulb?

I'm in the process of changing out all the old "standard" bulbs on my 2012 Explorer XLT with LEDs and so far so good. However, I'm now at the sidemarker lights (the tiny little lights just below the headlights, it's a w5w bulb according to the manual) and can't figure out how to open them or get at the bulb. I can't seem to find any instructions anywhere on it on Google or on here. I can see the wire under the hood, but without removing the whole headlight assembly I can't see where it goes (and my arms are too thick to get very far). I figure there must be an easier way than doing that. I tried prying at it with a flat screwdriver but nothing was giving away easily.

Does anyone know how to get them open or how to pop them out to get access to the bulb?
Welcome to the Forum.:wave:
The following thread doesn't really go into detail about the sidemarker lights but it would seem that you have to remove, at least partially, the headlight assembly.
http://www.explorerforum.com/xenforo/index.php?threads/led-turn-signal-how-to-front-rear.386681/

Peter

Back