How to add 2 12 volt power ports to the 2002 Explorer center console. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to add 2 12 volt power ports to the 2002 Explorer center console.

bcolins

Reaction score
City, State
Cedar Park (Austin) Tejas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS 4.0 4x4
I wanted two power ports in the panel at the front of my center console for my GPS and Detector, or phone charging. I ordered two motorcycle power ports with hinged covers and USB plugs from a China seller on eBay. I think they were $12 for both shipped and took about 2 weeks to show up.

My 2002 XLS has a perfect flat area at the front of the center console tray/bin. The space behind that area is tight,....so I did have to make some easy mods to the power ports in order to make them fit in this location.

There is only one screw holding the center console in. its under the rubber mat in the front storage bin (possibly an ashtray if ordered that way??)

After bending the terminals on the back flat to allow the ports to fit in the limited depth available, I rotated one power port 180 degrees in its black plastic attachment bezel to point the terminals inward where there is more depth. I made a carboard template to fit the area where I was mounting the ports, and then by eye, positioned two quarters where I wanted the ports to be, and traced around them with a ball point. A quarter is about 1" in diameter and that was the size hole I needed for my ports. After cutting out the holes I had traced, I held the template in place on the console and using a ball point pen, I traced the holes onto the console area. I then marked the centers of those holes, and drilled them out starting with a small drill and progessing into my largest drill bit. that was about a 9/16 hole, so I hand finished the holes VERY slowly with a dremel tool with a small sanding drum installed. This plastic is soft, and cuts/sands/melts readily, so go slowly, and check the fit of your power ports frequently. I found that when I thought the hole was still just a bit too small,......I could press the power ports firmly and they would press into place and the lock tabs securely clicked locking them in place.

I used a T-type electrical connector for the hot side from the wires there that run to the power port further back in the console, and found a metal screw that was a grounding point for the negative side of the ports.

Pics follow.

img3616a.jpg

img3619ii.jpg

img3621r.jpg

img3623h.jpg

img3617k.jpg

img3624me.jpg

img3618j.jpg

img3626cs.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes ther actually is a smokers model which has an ash tray. There is actually a plug in location right under that flat section somewhere that runns all the power to the cigerette lighter. When I get home ill find the picture someone else poster that shows the location. Good job nice write up.

Very nicely done. Thanks for sharing. :thumbsup:

Do you have a link for purchasing these power points?

Yes ther actually is a smokers model which has an ash tray. There is actually a plug in location right under that flat section somewhere that runns all the power to the cigerette lighter. When I get home ill find the picture someone else poster that shows the location. Good job nice write up.

Is this what you are looking for? The orange connector is for the smoker's package. :smoke:

1dDisconnectPowerSources.jpg

Yes it is. Lucky me I have smokers package yet no smell or burn marks

You are lucky. I don't have the smoker's package, but did get the smoke/burn marks/smell package when I bought my Ex. :p:

You are lucky. I don't have the smoker's package, but did get the smoke/burn marks/smell package when I bought my Ex. :p:

No smokers package or burn marks or smoke smells in mine,...........but prior owner DID have a dog, and the cloth seats were dingy brownish and smelled like dog when I got it,........I bought a Bissell little green machine of Craigslist for $10 that needed a new brush to work ($8) and shampooed the hell out of those seats. Probably did all the seats and carpet 3 or 4 times now, and the smell is gone and the seats look like new!

Brian

The green machine sounds interesting. I need to give my interior the once or twice over.

Have you got a a link for purchasing these power points?

Thanks - Rondo

Idk which link you want but the little green machine is the exact same as the auto care only difference one is green the other is black. Both can come with or without heat.

Back on topic. With the plugs that low only gives you about three inches of space. Why not place then higher?

Idk which link you want but the little green machine is the exact same as [URLhttp://www.bissell.com/autocare-proheat-deep-cleaner/] the auto care [/URL] only difference one is green the other is black. Both can come with or without heat.

Back on topic. With the plugs that low only gives you about three inches of space. Why not place then higher?

I have been researching the Bissell machines. I was looking for the link to where he purchased the power points:

Have you got a a link for purchasing these power points?

Thanks - Rondo

:p:

I have been researching the Bissell machines. I was looking for the link to where he purchased the power points:

:p:

Don't you get sassy mister if you would have reworded it to say, Where did you buy those female outlets everyone would have understood.

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

How are the power points holding up?

Thanks for the link. :thumbsup:

How are the power points holding up?

They seem to be solidly built. Not expecting any issues.

Was checking my Paypal account a few days ago looking for something, and noticed I actually paid $16 even for 2 of the sockets with USB plugs and shipping. I think they had a "Make an offer" option.

They seem to be solidly built. Not expecting any issues.

Was checking my Paypal account a few days ago looking for something, and noticed I actually paid $16 even for 2 of the sockets with USB plugs and shipping. I think they had a "Make an offer" option.

Thanks. SOunds like you got a pretty good deal!

Back