HOW TO: Alternating/Sequential Turn Signals Modification | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HOW TO: Alternating/Sequential Turn Signals Modification

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Was bored today at work so I decided I would mess with my front turn signals on my Explorer. This modification incorporates the outer bulb in to the turn signal, where as before it was just a tag light. It does it in two different ways, depending on whether your lights are on or not. When your lights are off, this makes it so when you use your turn signals or 4-ways, both bulbs light up at the same time. When your lights are on and you use your turn signals/4-ways, the lights alternate. When your lights are on and you're not using your turn signals, they function as normal with both lights on. :confused: Confused? Here are videos:

Lights On

Lights Off

Understand? I figured I would write a "How To" just in case anyone else felt like doing it.

Time: 15 Minutes
Tools Needed:
  • Phillips & Flat-head Screwdriver
  • Electrical Tape
  • Wire Cutters & Strippers
  • Razor Blade
  • 2 Pieces of ~6" Wire

Instructions:
  1. Open Hood

2. Disconnect Battery (I didn't, but I suppose I should tell you to)

3. Remove Rubber "Thingy" by removing the pin (This is where the flat-head screw driver helps) Just the area above the headlight is fine.

photohs6.jpg

4. Remove the two screws holding in the headlight trim

photo2fp1.jpg

5. Pull trim out, flat-head helps again here. There's tabs on the bottom and sides that need some force to get out.

photo3cg8.jpg

6. Unscrew the bulbs and set the trim aside, makes it easier to work.

7. Here comes to fun part, if you look at the outer bulb (smaller of the two) you'll see two wires coming out of it, one black & one brown. As close to the plastic "piping" as possible, cut the black wire. Cap or tape off the end coming out of the piping, so you're left with a ~1" wire coming from the bulb. Strip off the end of that wire about 1cm.

photo4on1.jpg

photo5ht2.jpg

8. Next, get the ~6" wire and connect it to the black wire coming from the bulb, I used connectors but again, you can just twist and tape.

photo6tz1.jpg

9. Then, if you look at the other bulb you should see 3 wires. One black, one brown, and either a yellow (passenger side) or green (driver side) wire. Splice in to the yellow/green wire using the razor blade, I removed insulation around the whole wire, about 1cm long. Careful not to cut the wire!

photo7ic9.jpg

10. Then, get the wire you added from the bulb, and connect that in to the splice you made off the yellow/green wire. I just wrapped the end of the black wire around the yellow/green wire and taped it.

photo9jm9.jpg

photo10qc1.jpg

11. Connect your battery and test your lights. Should work as described above, if not check all your wiring and if worse comes to worse, message me and I can help.

12. Screw the bulbs back in (see why you needed that ~6" wire yet?), push in the trim, screw the two screws back in, re-attach rubber "thingy", and close the hood.

PLEASE NOTE! As with all modifications you do to your car, you do this at your own risk. While this worked on my car, I cannot guarantee it will do the same on yours. I'm not responsible for any damage this can cause or for any damage you may cause if you :censored: something up. :p:

And you're done! Simple and haven't noticed any problems thus far. Only difference is that when you're lights are on, the "click click click" the turn signal makes is a little bit slower. Lemme know if you need help or whatever!

:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This same write-up was done a few years ago...

I did my lights way back then...

Ryan

the turn signals blink slower bc of the extra load from splicing in the other bulbs. installing a 'loud' or 'electronic' flasher should fix it. its a common thing on vehicles that tow trailers so that the load doesnt become too much on the circuit.

would they alternate with the hazards on and running lights on?
That would be cool, kinda like a cop. Are there strobe kits that I could get?

oops! Oh well I guess people who haven't seen it then can do it now.

Jumpn4jesus - yeah, it flashes just like it does with the turn signal, just, obviously, on both sides.

Four0Sport...technically, you aren't adding another bulb to the circuit....You are cutting the ground for the 'added' bulb when the original bulb in the circuit is powered...thus, the alternating feature of this mod only works when the lights are on.

GM cars and trucks do this from the factory.

Ryan

Ok. thanks.

Back