How-To: Billet Grill Cheap and Rad. Rock Guard | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How-To: Billet Grill Cheap and Rad. Rock Guard

First gotta give credit were credit is due. I first saw this mod on Crawlin91's Rig and after talkin to him about how he did I decided to do it and make a How-To on it.

Crawlin91's Rig
1106081437.jpg

Alright so the main reason I did this mod was to add some protection to my Radiator from rocks cause a few months ago I had to spend about and hour straightening all the bent fins in it and while I had the grill off I discovered several rocks in front of the Rad.

NOTE: I did this on a limited grill so your application may be a bit different depending on the grill.

Alright so here is the list of Needed supplies.

1.Gutter guard x3 (can be found at Home Depot)~$1.96
2.Some kind of wire that will not rust. I got some 16ga. galvanized wire ( I would probably get smaller if I did it again cause it was kinda hard to work with)~1.96
3. Tools. Wire cutters. Drill and needle-nose pliers.

All the required tools.
RadRockGuardSep26101.jpg

Alright first you need to get your grill off your truck and then I would I would put painters tape over the emblem or find something soft to work on so you don't scratch the grill like I did.:(

Ok so if you have the same kind of gutter guards as I did then they will have 2 clips on one side I attached these to the top of the grill.
RadRockGuardSep26105.jpg

I made a relief cut on each side about 2 spaces away so that it would only bend a small section.

2.Then you will need to fold the excess around the hole to hold it in place.
RadRockGuardSep26107.jpg

3.Then drill a hole at the bottom corners. (make it about half In. from the top so it doesn't crack.)
RadRockGuardSep261010.jpg

4.Now just use the wire to secure it to the grill and twist it around itself where it can't be seen.
RadRockGuardSep26109.jpg

5. Then repeat in the center at the top and bottom.
RadRockGuardSep26108.jpg

6. Now move to the lower half and use another Gutter guard for it. I had to trim it because of the mounting tabs and I wanted to leave the middle section open.
RadRockGuardSep261013.jpg

7.Then just repeat the previous steps by bending it and using wire to secure it.
RadRockGuardSep261014.jpg

Here is the back side all finished.
RadRockGuardSep261015.jpg

And the front.
RadRockGuardSep261016.jpg

Now just put it back on the truck and your almost done. Now you will need to cut a little part out near the hood release latch so you can use a screwdriver to open it. I keep one in the glove box so it's handy. (But chances are most of you already have some form of tool box in the back already.)

Now it finished.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had some left over so I cut a portion to cover my fog light holes and to protect them once I get some to install.

Finished pics.
RadRockGuardSep261022.jpg

RadRockGuardSep261023.jpg

RadRockGuardSep261024.jpg

RadRockGuardSep261025.jpg

RadRockGuardSep261027.jpg

Any Question Just ask and I'll help you the best I can.

Can someone change the name it was supposed to say Cheap not Charp

Forgot a close up of the Fog Light holes.
RadRockGuardSep261021.jpg

Nice job- I like it!

i had done this with a mesh trash can. i actualy have a billet grille and put that behind it and it was much better, just the grille you can see the rad and frame.
but im looking for a tighter mesh if anyone knows of one. i didnt like how it still showed a little to much

That turned out real good, Ive never seen a grill like that on an rbv.

i had done this with a mesh trash can. i actualy have a billet grille and put that behind it and it was much better, just the grille you can see the rad and frame.
but im looking for a tighter mesh if anyone knows of one. i didnt like how it still showed a little to much

This is as small of mesh as I would go if you get to small it will block air and cause you to over heat which will cause a billion other problems.

yea i just hate how much you can see even with it all. i think i just need to paint the rad support(i think its called) black
this is mine without the mesh
DSCN1285.jpg

i think ill try the gutter mesh this time around. it looks a lot thicker and doesnt come in a circle needing to be flattened lol

...I would pull the grill and paint everything that is white (and the rest of the area) with Krylon ultra flat black paint...

...Then you could add the mesh as shown and even paint it ultra flat black..Ultra flat has no shine at all and is perfect for what your needs are..;)

...Btw, nice write up...:biggthump

...I would pull the grill and paint everything that is white (and the rest of the area) with Krylon ultra flat black paint...

...Then you could add the mesh as shown and even paint it ultra flat black..Ultra flat has no shine at all and is perfect for what your needs are..;)

...Btw, nice write up...:biggthump

Thank you.

Updated mine over the weekend to add a bit of color to the truck.

I removed the mesh I had behind my grill and fog light holes and cleaned it real good and laid several coats of pumkin orange paint on them and topped it off with a few coats of clear.

Here's the results.
GrillOrangeSep262011-3.jpg

Camera's set on auto no flash
GrillOrangeSep262011-4.jpg

Slowed the shutter down a bit and flash.
GrillOrangeSep262011-5.jpg

Hmm. Looks like I am going BACK to Lowes' for some more stuff today. Thanks for sharing this. My wife likes it enough to tell me that I get to do it to "her" "X". Oh, and IF you can find it, Safety wire is stainless steel, just for a easy source of ss wire.

Hmm. Looks like I am going BACK to Lowes' for some more stuff today. Thanks for sharing this. My wife likes it enough to tell me that I get to do it to "her" "X". Oh, and IF you can find it, Safety wire is stainless steel, just for a easy source of ss wire.

Thanks. I used small zip-ties this time when I put the painted version on and it looks a bit better than the wire and they were easier to work with. I'll have to remember that about safety wire though.

Back